Robust Specification Testing in Regression: The FRESET Test and Autocorrelated Disturbances
AbstractThis study investigates the degree of size-distortion of the RESET, FRESETL and FRESETS tests, and their ability to reject falsely specified models in terms of an omitted variable, in the presence of autocorrelation. Specifically, in the presence of AR(1) and MA(1) processes, respectively. We also explore the properties of the corresponding tests when the robust error covariance matrix estimator of Newey and West (1987) is used in the construction of the tests. Our results indicated that the FRESET tests performed equally as well as, and in many cases yield higher "power" than the comparable RESET test. The dominance of the FRESET tests was even more pronounced when a Newey-West correction for autocorrelation was used as evidenced by higher rejection rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Victoria in its series Econometrics Working Papers with number 9806.
Length: 13 pages
Date of creation: 27 May 1998
Date of revision:
Note: ISSN 1485-6441
Contact details of provider:
Postal: PO Box 1700, STN CSC, Victoria, BC, Canada, V8W 2Y2
Web page: http://web.uvic.ca/econ
More information through EDIRC
Specification Analysis; RESET test; Autocorrelation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-1998-10-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-1998-08-31 (Econometrics)
- NEP-EEC-1998-10-19 (European Economics)
- NEP-ETS-1998-10-23 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Porter, Richard D. & Kashyap, Anil K., 1984. "Autocorrelation and the sensitivity of reset," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 14(2-3), pages 229-233.
- Gallant, A. Ronald, 1981. "On the bias in flexible functional forms and an essentially unbiased form : The fourier flexible form," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 211-245, February.
- Mitchell, Karlyn & Onvural, Nur M, 1996. "Economies of Scale and Scope at Large Commercial Banks: Evidence from the Fourier Flexible Functional Form," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(2), pages 178-99, May.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Thursby, Jerry G, 1982. "Misspecification, Heteroscedasticity, and the Chow and Goldfeld-Quandt Tests," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 64(2), pages 314-21, May.
- Thursby, Jerry G, 1989. "A Comparison of Several Specification Error Tests for a General Alternative," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(1), pages 217-30, February.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Local vs. Global Approximations
by Dave Giles in Econometrics Beat: Dave Giles' Blog on 2012-07-08 16:56:00
- Seung Hyun Hong & Peter C. B. Phillips, 2005.
"Testing Linearity in Cointegrating Relations with an Application to Purchasing Power Parity,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1541, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Hong, Seung Hyun & Phillips, Peter C. B., 2010. "Testing Linearity in Cointegrating Relations With an Application to Purchasing Power Parity," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 28(1), pages 96-114.
- David E. A. Giles & Betty J. Johnson, 1999.
"Taxes, Risk-Aversion, and the Size of the Underground Economy: A Nonparametric Analysis With New Zealand Data,"
Econometrics Working Papers
9910, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- David E. A. Giles & Betty J. Johnson, 2000. "Taxes, Risk-Aversion, and the Size of the Underground Economy: A Nonparametric Analysis With New Zealand Data," Econometrics Working Papers 0006, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lori Cretney).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.