Preliminary-Test and Bayes Estimation of a Location Parameter Under 'Reflected Normal' Loss
AbstractIn this paper, we consider a simple preliminary-test estimation problem where the analyst's loss structure is represented by a ‘reflected Normal' penalty function. In particular we consider the estimation of the location parameter in a Normal sampling problem, where a preliminary test is conducted for the validity of a simple restriction on this parameter. The exact finite-sample risk of this pre-test estimator is derived under ‘reflected Normal' loss, and this risk is compared with those of the unrestricted and restricted Maximum Likelihood estimators of location under this loss structure. The paper draws comparisons between these results and those obtained under conventional quadratic loss. Some simple Bayesian analysis is also considered. The results extend naturally to the case of estimating the coefficients in a Normal linear multiple regression model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Victoria in its series Econometrics Working Papers with number 0004.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: 26 Apr 2000
Date of revision:
Note: ISSN 1485-6441
Contact details of provider:
Postal: PO Box 1700, STN CSC, Victoria, BC, Canada, V8W 2Y2
Web page: http://web.uvic.ca/econ
More information through EDIRC
preliminary testing; risk function; Bayes estimation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C11 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Bayesian Analysis: General
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giles, David E. A. & Srivastava, Virendra K., 1993. "The exact distribution of a least squares regression coefficient estimator after a preliminary t-test," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 59-64, January.
- Giles, Judith A., 1991. "Pre-testing for linear restrictions in a regression model with spherically symmetric disturbances," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 377-398, December.
- Giles, Judith A & Giles, David E A, 1993. " Pre-test Estimation and Testing in Econometrics: Recent Developments," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(2), pages 145-97, June.
- Giles, David E. A., 1993. "Pre-test estimation in regression under absolute error loss," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 339-343.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Bayes Estimators, Loss Functions, and J. M. Keynes
by Dave Giles in Econometrics Beat: Dave Giles' Blog on 2012-05-11 17:20:00
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lori Cretney).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.