Estimation of regression coefficients of interest when other regression coefficients are of no interest: The case of non-normal errors
AbstractThis note considers the problem of estimating regression coefficients when some other coefficients in the model are of no interest. For the case of normal errors, Magnus and Durbin [1999. Estimation of regression coefficients of interest when other regression coefficients are of no interest. Econometrica 67, 639-643] and Danilov and Magnus [2004. On the harm that ignoring pretesting can cause. J. Econometrics 122, 27-46] studied this problem and established an equivalence theorem which states that the problem of estimating the coefficients of interest is equivalent to that of finding an optimal estimator of the vector of coefficients of no interest given a single observation from a normal distribution. The aim of this note is to generalize their findings to the large sample non-normal errors case. Some applications of our results are also given.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 77 (2007)
Issue (Month): 8 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jan R. Magnus & J. Durbin, 1999. "Estimation of Regression Coefficients of Interest When Other Regression Coefficients Are of No Interest," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(3), pages 639-644, May.
- Kim, Tae-Hwan & White, Halbert, 2000.
"James-Stein Type Estimator in Large Samples with Application to the Least Absolute Deviations Estimator,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt3mn102zs, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Kim T-H. & White H., 2001. "James-Stein-Type Estimators in Large Samples With Application to the Least Absolute Deviations Estimator," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 697-705, June.
- Kim, Tae-Hwan & White, Halbert, 1999. "James-Stein Type Estimators in Large Samples with Application to the Least Absolute Deviations Estimator," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt9914w10r, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Kim, Tae-Hwan & White, Halbert, 2000. "James-Stein Type Estimators in Large Samples with Application to the Least Absolute Deviations Estimator," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt4zq9k3qh, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Jan R. Magnus, 2002. "Estimation of the mean of a univariate normal distribution with known variance," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 5(1), pages 225-236, June.
- Danilov, Dmitry & Magnus, J.R.Jan R., 2004. "On the harm that ignoring pretesting can cause," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 122(1), pages 27-46, September.
- Ullah, Aman & Ullah, Shobha, 1978. "Double k-Class Estimators of Coefficients in Linear Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(3), pages 705-22, May.
- Giles, Judith A., 1991. "Pre-testing for linear restrictions in a regression model with spherically symmetric disturbances," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 377-398, December.
- Judith A. Clarke, 2007.
"On Weighted Estimation in Linear Regression in th Presence of Parameter Uncertainty,"
Econometrics Working Papers
0701, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- Clarke, Judith A., 2008. "On weighted estimation in linear regression in the presence of parameter uncertainty," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 1-3, July.
- An, Lihua & Nkurunziza, Sévérien & Fung, Karen Y. & Krewski, Daniel & Luginaah, Isaac, 2009. "Shrinkage estimation in general linear models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(7), pages 2537-2549, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.