Estimation of the mean of a univariate normal distribution with known variance
AbstractWe consider the estimation of the unknown mean "&eegr;" of a univariate normal distribution N("&eegr;", 1) given a single observation "x". We wish to obtain an estimator which is admissible and has good risk (and regret) properties. We first argue that the "usual" estimator "t" ("x") = "x" is not necessarily suitable. Next, we show that the traditional pretest estimator of the mean has many undesirable properties. Thus motivated, we suggest the Laplace estimator, based on a "neutral" prior for "&eegr;", and obtain its properties. Finally, we compare the Laplace estimator with a large class of (inadmissible) estimators and show that the risk properties of the Laplace estimator are close to those of the minimax regret estimator from this large class. Thus, the Laplace estimator has good risk (regret) properties as well. Questions of admissibility, risk and regret are reviewed in the appendix. Copyright Royal Economic Society 2002
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Royal Economic Society in its journal The Econometrics Journal.
Volume (Year): 5 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Magnus, J.R. & Wang, W. & Zhang, Xinyu, 2012. "WALS Prediction," Discussion Paper 2012-043, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Danilov, D.L. & Magnus, J.R., 2002. "Estimation of the Mean of a Univariate Normal Distribution When the Variance is not Known," Discussion Paper 2002-77, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Clarke, Judith A., 2008.
"On weighted estimation in linear regression in the presence of parameter uncertainty,"
Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 1-3, July.
- Judith A. Clarke, 2007. "On Weighted Estimation in Linear Regression in th Presence of Parameter Uncertainty," Econometrics Working Papers 0701, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- Reif, Jiri, 2007. "Asymptotic behaviour of regression pre-test estimators with minimal Bayes risk," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 413-424, October.
- De Luca, G. & Magnus, J.R., 2011.
"Bayesian Model Averaging and Weighted Average Least Squares: Equivariance, Stability, and Numerical Issues,"
2011-082, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Giuseppe De Luca & Jan R. Magnus, 2011. "Bayesian model averaging and weighted-average least squares: Equivariance, stability, and numerical issues," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 11(4), pages 518-544, December.
- Magnus, Jan R. & Powell, Owen & Prüfer, Patricia, 2010. "A comparison of two model averaging techniques with an application to growth empirics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 139-153, February.
- Valentino Dardanoni & Giuseppe De Luca & Salvatore Modica & Franco Peracchi, 2011.
"A Generalized Missing-Indicator Approach to Regression with Imputed Covariates,"
EIEF Working Papers Series
1111, Einaudi Institute for Economic and Finance (EIEF), revised May 2011.
- Valentino Dardanoni & Giuseppe De Luca & Salvatore Modica & Franco Peracchi, 2012. "A generalized missing-indicator approach to regression with imputed covariates," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 12(4), pages 575-604, December.
- Pötscher, Benedikt M., 2006. "The Distribution of Model Averaging Estimators and an Impossibility Result Regarding Its Estimation," MPRA Paper 73, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jul 2006.
- Magnus, J.R. & Powell, O.R. & PrÃ¼fer, P., 2008. "A Comparison of Two Averaging Techniques with an Application to Growth Empirics," Discussion Paper 2008-39, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Magnus, Jan R. & Wan, Alan T.K. & Zhang, Xinyu, 2011. "Weighted average least squares estimation with nonspherical disturbances and an application to the Hong Kong housing market," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 1331-1341, March.
- Čížek, Pavel, 2004. "(Non) Linear Regression Modeling," Papers 2004,11, Humboldt-Universität Berlin, Center for Applied Statistics and Economics (CASE).
- Danilov, Dmitry & Magnus, J.R.Jan R., 2004. "On the harm that ignoring pretesting can cause," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 122(1), pages 27-46, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.