Testing for structural Change in Regression: An Empirical Likelihood Ratio Approach
AbstractIn this paper we derive an empirical likelihood type Wald (ELW)test for the problem testing for structural change in a linear regression model when the variance of error term is not known to be equal across regimes. The sampling properties of the ELW test are analyzed using Monte Carlo simulation. Comparisons of these properties of the ELW test and of three other commonly used tests (Jayatissa, Weerahandi, and Wald) are conducted. The finding is that the ELW test has very good power properties.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Victoria in its series Econometrics Working Papers with number 0405.
Length: 46 pages
Date of creation: 06 Dec 2004
Date of revision:
Note: ISSN 1485-6441
Contact details of provider:
Postal: PO Box 1700, STN CSC, Victoria, BC, Canada, V8W 2Y2
Web page: http://web.uvic.ca/econ
More information through EDIRC
Empirical Likelihood; Wald test; Monte Carlo Simulation; Power and size; structural change;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- C16 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Econometric and Statistical Methods; Specific Distributions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Weerahandi, Samaradasa, 1987. "Testing Regression Equality with Unequal Variances," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(5), pages 1211-15, September.
- Giles, Judith A & Giles, David E A, 1993. " Pre-test Estimation and Testing in Econometrics: Recent Developments," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(2), pages 145-97, June.
- Watt, P A, 1979. "Tests of Equality between Sets of Coefficients in Two Linear Regressions When Disturbance Variances Are Unequal: Some Small Sample Properties," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 47(4), pages 391-96, December.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Ohtani, Kazuhiro & Toyoda, Toshihisa, 1985. "Small Sample Properties of Tests of Equality between Sets of Coefficients in Two Linear Regressions under Heteroscedasticity," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 26(1), pages 37-44, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lori Cretney).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.