Price Flexibility and Debt Dynamics in a High Order AS-AD Model
AbstractIn this paper we reconsider extensions and modifications of earlier work on a disequilibrium model of AS-AD growth. Our dynamic model exhibits more or less sluggishly adjusting prices and quantities, Keynesian demand rationing and fluctuating capacity utilization for both labor and capital. Firms use debt (and pure profits) to finance their investment expenditures. We first prove that the resulting 7D core dynamics are convergent (broadly speaking) for low adjustment speeds. We then demonstrate partly analytically and partly numerically that their interior steady state will lose asymptotic stability by way of Hopf bifurcations when relevant adjustment speeds are made sufficiently large. This holds in particular for debt deflation, where falling price levels (caused by price flexibility that is sufficiently high) cause significantly increasing real debt, falling investment and shrinking economic activity. This deepens the deflationary process already under way. Such an instability result even occurs in the case where accompanying real wage increases would support economic stability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney in its series Working Paper Series with number 109.
Date of creation: 01 Sep 2000
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published as: Chiarella, C., Flaschel, P. and Semmler, W., 2001, "Price Flexibility and Debt Dynamics in a High Order AS-AD Model", Central European Journal of Operation Research, 9, 119-145.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chiarella,Carl & Flaschel,Peter, 2011.
"The Dynamics of Keynesian Monetary Growth,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521180184, December.
- Chiarella, Carl & Flaschel, Peter & Wells, Graeme, 2003. "The Dynamics Of Keynesian Monetary Growth," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(03), pages 473-475, June.
- Chiarella,Carl & Flaschel,Peter, 2000. "The Dynamics of Keynesian Monetary Growth," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521643511, December.
- Carl Chiarella & Peter Flaschel, 2003. "Towards Applied Disequilibrium Growth Theory: V Housing Investment Cycles, Private Debt Accumulation and Deflation," Working Paper Series 97, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Asada, Toichiro, 2006. "Stabilization policy in a Keynes-Goodwin model with debt accumulation," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 466-485, December.
- Carl Chiarella & Peter Flaschel & Peiyuan Zhu, 2003. "Towards Applied Disequilibrium Growth Theory: IV Numerical Investigations of the Core 18D Model," Working Paper Series 96, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Duncan Ford).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.