Robustness and Stability of Limit Cycles in a Class of Planar Dynamical Systems
AbstractUsing a macroeconomic example, the paper proposes an algorithm to symbolically construct the topological normal form of Andronov-Hopf bifurcation. It also offers a program, using the Computer Algebra System `Maxima', to apply this algorithm. In case the limit cycle turns out to be unstable, the possibilities of the dynamics converging to another limit cycle is explored.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 50814.
Date of creation: Feb 2013
Date of revision:
Andronov-Hopf bifurcation; Limit cycles;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C62 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Existence and Stability Conditions of Equilibrium
- C69 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Other
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-10-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2013-10-25 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2013-10-25 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Velupillai, K. Vela, 2006.
"A disequilibrium macrodynamic model of fluctuations,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 752-767, December.
- K. Vela Velupillai, 2004. "A Disequilibrium Macrodynamic Model of Fluctuations," Working Papers 0081, National University of Ireland Galway, Department of Economics, revised 2004.
- Toichiro Asada & Pu Chen & Carl Chiarella & Peter Flaschel, 2004.
"Keynesian Dynamics and the Wage-Price Spiral: A Baseline Disequilibrium Model,"
Working Paper Series
139, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Asada, Toichiro & Chen, Pu & Chiarella, Carl & Flaschel, Peter, 2006. "Keynesian dynamics and the wage-price spiral: A baseline disequilibrium model," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 90-130, March.
- Benhabib, Jess & Miyao, Takahiro, 1981. "Some New Results on the Dynamics of the Generalized Tobin Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 22(3), pages 589-96, October.
- Kind, Christoph, 1999. "Remarks on the economic interpretation of Hopf bifurcations," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 147-154, February.
- Benhabib, Jess & Nishimura, Kazuo, 1979. "The hopf bifurcation and the existence and stability of closed orbits in multisector models of optimal economic growth," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 421-444, December.
- Datta, Soumya, 2012. "Cycles and Crises in a Model of Debt-financed Investment-led Growth," MPRA Paper 50200, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 12 Dec 2012.
- Franke, Reiner, 1992. "Stable, Unstable, and Persistent Cyclical Behaviour in a Keynes-Wicksell Monetary Growth Model," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 44(2), pages 242-56, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.