Trade Policy, Poverty, and Income Distribution in CGE Models: An Application to SAFTA
AbstractWe describe a new CGE model of South Asia, and its application to understanding the socio-economic aspects of SAFTA. The model currently covers India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, and the rest of South Asia. It is being expanded to include Nepal and Pakistan. The model incorporates modifications to the household structure to capture implications of reform for intra-household income changes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Utah State University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2008-02.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: 19 Dec 2008
Date of revision: 19 Dec 2008
SAFTA; CGE; Poverty;
Other versions of this item:
- John Gilbert, 2008. "Trade Policy, Poverty, and Income Distribution in CGE Models: An Application to SAFTA," Working Papers 200802, Utah State University, Department of Economics and Finance.
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F17 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Forecasting and Simulation
- C68 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computable General Equilibrium Models
- O53 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Asia including Middle East
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Cockburn, 2002.
"Trade Liberalisation and Poverty in Nepal: A Computable General Equilibrium Micro Simulation Analysis,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2002-11, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- John Cockburn, 2002. "Trade Liberalisation and Poverty in Nepal A Computable General Equilibrium Micro Simulation Analysis," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2002-11, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- John Cockburn, 2004. "Trade Liberalisation and Poverty in Nepal A Computable General Equilibrium Micro Simulation Analysis," Development and Comp Systems 0409012, EconWPA.
- John Gilbert & Thomas Wahl, 2002. "Applied General Equilibrium Assessments of Trade Libereralisation in China," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(5), pages 697-731, 05.
- Shaohua Chen & Martin Ravallion, 2004.
"How Have the World's Poorest Fared since the Early 1980s?,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 19(2), pages 141-169.
- Chen, Shaohua & Ravallion, Martin, 2004. "How Have the World's Poorest Fared Since the Early 1980s?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3341, The World Bank.
- Robinson, Sherman & Thierfelder, Karen, 1999.
"Trade liberalization and regional integration: the search for large numbers,"
TMD discussion papers
34, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Robinson, Sherman & Thierfelder, Karen, 2002. "Trade liberalisation and regional integration: the search for large numbers," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 46(4), December.
- Manoj Panda & A. Ganesh-Kumar, 2008. "Trade Liberalization, Poverty and Food Security in India," Trade Working Papers 22410, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Thomas W. Hertel & L. Alan Winters, 2005. "Estimating the Poverty Impacts of a Prospective Doha Development Agenda," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(8), pages 1057-1071, 08.
- Gilbert, John & Wahl, Thomas, 2003. "Labor market distortions and China's WTO accession package:: an applied general equilibrium assessment," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 774-794, December.
- Peter J. Lloyd & Donald Maclaren, 2004. "Gains and Losses from Regional Trading Agreements: A Survey," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 80(251), pages 445-467, December.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:15:y:2007:i:17:p:1-14 is not listed on IDEAS
- Annabi, Nabil & Khondker, Bazlul & Raihan, Selim & Cockburn, John & Decaluwe, Bernard, 2006. "Implications of WTO agreements and unilateral trade policy reforms for poverty in Bangladesh : short versus long-run impacts," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3976, The World Bank.
- Ahmed, Vaqar & O' Donoghue, Cathal, 2008. "Welfare impact of external balance in pakistan: CGE-microsimulation analysis," MPRA Paper 9267, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Thomas Hertel & Jeffrey Reimer, 2005.
"Predicting the poverty impacts of trade reform,"
The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(4), pages 377-405.
- John Gilbert, 2009.
"Agricultural Trade Reform Under Doha and Poverty in India,"
2009-03, Utah State University, Department of Economics, revised 28 Jun 2009.
- John Gilbert, 2009. "Agricultural Trade Reform Under Doha and Poverty in India," Working Papers 200903, Utah State University, Department of Economics and Finance, revised 28 Jun 2009.
- Robert Scollay & John Gilbert, 2000. "Measuring the Gains from APEC Trade Liberalisation: An Overview of CGE Assessments," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(2), pages 175-197, 02.
- Acharya, Sanjaya & Cohen, Solomon, 2008. "Trade liberalisation and household welfare in Nepal," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 1057-1060.
- Prakash Raj Sapkota & John Cockburn, 2008. "Trade Liberalization and Poverty in Nepal: an Applied General Equilibrium Analysis," Working Papers MPIA 2008-13, PEP-MPIA.
- Fontana, Marzia & Wobst, Peter, 2001. "A gendered 1993-94 Social Accounting Matrix for Bangladesh," TMD discussion papers 74, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Basanta K. Pradhan & Sahoo Amarendra, 2006. "The Impact of Trade Liberalization on Household Welfare and Poverty in India," Working Papers MPIA 2006-01, PEP-MPIA.
- Sandra Polaski et al, 2008. "Policy dilemmas in India: The Impact of changes in agricultural prices on rural and urban poverty," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2008-012, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John Gilbert).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.