Volatility Model for Financial Market Risk Management : An Analysis on JSX Index Return Covariance Matrix
AbstractIn measuring risk, practitioners have practiced one of the two extreme approaches for so long, i.e. historical simulation or risk metrics. Meanwhile, academicians tend to apply methods based on the latest development in financial econometrics. In this study, we try to assess one of important issues in financial econometric development that focuses on market risk measurement and management employing asset-based models, i.e. models that apply dimensional covariance matrix, which is relevant to practice world. We compare covariance matrix model with Exponential Smoothing Model and GARCH Derivation and the Associated Derivation Models, using JSX Stock price Index data in 2000-2005. The result of this study shows how applicable the observed financial econometric instrument in Financial Market Risk Management practice.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, Padjadjaran University in its series Working Papers in Economics and Development Studies (WoPEDS) with number 200907.
Length: 15 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2009
Date of revision: Sep 2009
Risk Management; Volatility Model;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G0 - Financial Economics - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-09-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-FMK-2009-09-19 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-RMG-2009-09-19 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aggarwal, Reena & Inclan, Carla & Leal, Ricardo, 1999. "Volatility in Emerging Stock Markets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(01), pages 33-55, March.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Arief Anshory Yusuf).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.