How do ICT firms in Turkey manage innovation? Diversity in expertise versus diversity in markets
AbstractThis paper provides a novel taxonomy of firms based on specialization versus diversification in production and markets. Firms may choose to specialize on few production activities or alternatively may build expertise in many activities. There is an accompanying decision when firms sell their products: whether to serve few or many markets. We argue that the location on the specialization-diversification spectrum significantly affects how firms manage innovation. For a sample of 90 innovator ICT firms in Ankara we find that cooperation structure, sources of innovation and funding of R&D display statistically significant different patterns according to the specialization-diversification taxonomy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT) in its series MERIT Working Papers with number 024.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
management of innovation; core competency; expertise building; R&D; ICT;
Other versions of this item:
- Semih Akçomak & Erdal Akdeve & Derya Findik, 2013. "How do ICT firms in Turkey manage innovation? Diversity in expertise versus diversity in markets," STPS Working Papers 1301, STPS - Science and Technology Policy Studies Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Apr 2013.
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
- L86 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Information and Internet Services; Computer Software
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-11-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-ARA-2013-11-29 (MENA - Middle East & North Africa)
- NEP-CSE-2013-11-29 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-CWA-2013-11-29 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-IND-2013-11-29 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-INO-2013-11-29 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2013-11-29 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-SBM-2013-11-29 (Small Business Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ritter, Thomas & Gemunden, Hans Georg, 2003. "Network competence: Its impact on innovation success and its antecedents," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(9), pages 745-755, September.
- Lach, Saul, 2002.
"Do R&D Subsidies Stimulate or Displace Private R&D? Evidence from Israel,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(4), pages 369-90, December.
- Saul Lach, 2000. "Do R&D Subsidies Stimulate or Displace Private R&D? Evidence from Israel," NBER Working Papers 7943, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ozlem Ozkanli & Erdal Akdeve, 2009. "Cluster and innovation policy for regional development: the case of Turkey," International Journal of Management and Network Economics, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(2), pages 211-231.
- Andrea Vaona & Mario Pianta, 2008.
"Firm Size and Innovation in European Manufacturing,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 283-299, March.
- Mario Pianta & Andrea Vaona, 2006. "Firm size and Innovation in European Manufacturing," Kiel Working Papers 1284, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Srholec, Martin & Verspagen, Bart, 2008.
"The Voyage of the Beagle in Innovation Systems Land.Explorations on Sectors, Innovation, Heterogeneity and Selection,"
MERIT Working Papers
008, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Martin Srholec & Bart Verspagen, 2008. "The Voyage of the Beagle in Innovation Systems Land. Explorations on Sectors, Innovation, Heterogeneity and Selection," Working Papers on Innovation Studies 20080220, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Almus, Matthias & Czarnitzki, Dirk, 2003.
"The Effects of Public R&D Subsidies on Firms' Innovation Activities: The Case of Eastern Germany,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 21(2), pages 226-36, April.
- Almus, Matthias & Czarnitzki, Dirk, 2001. "The effects of public R&D subsidies on firms' innovation activities: the case of Eastern Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 01-10, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Laforet, Sylvie, 2008. "Size, strategic, and market orientation affects on innovation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(7), pages 753-764, July.
- Carsten Eckel & J Peter Neary, 2006.
"Multi-Product Firms and Flexible Manufacturing in the Global Economy,"
200608, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Carsten Eckel & J. Peter Neary, 2010. "Multi-Product Firms and Flexible Manufacturing in the Global Economy," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 77(1), pages 188-217.
- Eckel, Carsten & Neary, J Peter, 2006. "Multi-Product Firms and Flexible Manufacturing in the Global Economy," CEPR Discussion Papers 5941, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Peter Neary & Carsten Eckel, 2006. "Multi-Product Firms and Flexible Manufacturing in the Global Economy," Economics Series Working Papers 292, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Fritsch, Michael & Meschede, Monika, 1998.
"Product Innovation, Process Innovation, and Size,"
Freiberg Working Papers
1998,13, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Uwe Cantner & Holger Graf, 2003.
"Cooperation and Specialization in German Technology Regions,"
Jenaer Schriften zur Wirtschaftswissenschaft
04/2003, Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Uwe Cantner & Holger Graf, 2004. "Cooperation and specialization in German technology regions," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 14(5), pages 543-562, December.
- Hall, Bronwyn H & Ziedonis, Rosemarie Ham, 2001. "The Patent Paradox Revisited: An Empirical Study of Patenting in the U.S. Semiconductor Industry, 1979-1995," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 32(1), pages 101-28, Spring.
- Franz T�dtling & Markus Grillitsch & Christoph H�glinger, 2012. "Knowledge Sourcing and Innovation in Austrian ICT Companies—How Does Geography Matter?," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(4), pages 327-348, May.
- Eckel, Carsten & Neary, J. P., 2010. "Multi-product firms and flexible manufacturing in the global economy," Munich Reprints in Economics 20525, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Tether, Bruce S., 2002. "Who co-operates for innovation, and why: An empirical analysis," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 947-967, August.
- Santangelo, Grazia D., 2001. "The impact of the information and communications technology revolution on the internationalisation of corporate technology," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(6), pages 701-726, December.
- de Faria, Pedro & Lima, Francisco & Santos, Rui, 2010. "Cooperation in innovation activities: The importance of partners," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(8), pages 1082-1092, October.
- Hyukjoon Kim & Hyojeong Lim & Yongtae Park, 2009. "How should firms carry out technological diversification to improve their performance? An analysis of patenting of Korean firms," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(8), pages 757-770.
- Cohen, Wesley M & Klepper, Steven, 1996. "Firm Size and the Nature of Innovation within Industries: The Case of Process and Product R&D," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(2), pages 232-43, May.
- Pavitt, Keith & Robson, Michael & Townsend, Joe, 1987. "The Size Distribution of Innovating Firms in the UK: 1945-1983," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(3), pages 297-316, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ad Notten).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.