ICT as Technical Change in the Matching and Production Functions of a Pissarides-Dixit-Stiglitz model
AbstractIn this paper we integrate two workhorse models in economics: Themonopolistic competition model of Dixit and Stiglitz and the search unemploymentmodel of Pissarides. Information and communication technology (ICT) is interpretedas i) technical progress in the matching function of the Pissarides labour marketsearch model where it is increasing the probability of filling a vacancy, and ii) astechnical change in the production function of the Dixit-Stiglitz goods market modelwhere it is increasing fixed costs and decreasing variable costs. All effects together,modelled as a permanent once-and-for-all ICT and Internet shock, increase thevacancy/ unemployment ratio, decrease the long-run equilibrium unemployment rate,and increase wages. Keywords: ICT, Monopolistic competition, unemployment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT) in its series Research Memorandum with number 022.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Ziesemer,Thomas, 2001. "ICT as Technical Change in the Matching and Production Functions of a Pissarides-Dixit-Stiglitz model," Research Memorandum 024, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- E13 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Neoclassical
- E24 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Employment; Unemployment; Wages; Intergenerational Income Distribution
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Addison, John T. & Portugal, Pedro, 2001.
"Job Search Methods and Outcomes,"
IZA Discussion Papers
349, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- John T. Addison & Pedro Portugal, 1998. "Job Search Methods and Outcomes," Working Papers w199808, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Addison, John T. & Portugal, Pedro, 1998. "Job Search Methods and Outcomes," ZEW Discussion Papers 98-41, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Shapiro, Carl & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1984. "Equilibrium Unemployment as a Worker Discipline Device," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(3), pages 433-44, June.
- Ulrich Kaiser & Winfried Pohlmeier, 2000. "Efficient Bargaining and the Skill-Structure of Wages and Employment," CoFE Discussion Paper 00-24, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- Jacobebbinghaus, Peter & Zwick, Thomas, 2001. "New technologies and the demand for medium qualified labour in Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 01-12, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Bernd Fitzenberger, 1999. "International Trade and the Skill Structure of Wages and Employment in West Germany," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 219(1+2), pages 67-89, July.
- Patricia M. Anderson & Simon M. Burgess, 2000. "Empirical Matching Functions: Estimation and Interpretation Using State-Level Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(1), pages 93-102, February.
- Mortensen, Dale T & Pissarides, Christopher A, 1994.
"Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(3), pages 397-415, July.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1993. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment," CEP Discussion Papers dp0110, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Lucy Chennells & John Van Reenen, 1999. "Has technology hurt less skilled workers? A survey of the micro-econometric evidence," IFS Working Papers W99/27, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- David H. Autor, 2001.
"Wiring the Labor Market,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 15(1), pages 25-40, Winter.
- Stole, Lars A & Zwiebel, Jeffrey, 1996. "Organizational Design and Technology Choice under Intrafirm Bargaining," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(1), pages 195-222, March.
- Coles, Melvyn G & Smith, Eric, 1994.
"Cross-Section Estimation of the Matching Function: Evidence from England and Wales,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
966, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Coles, Melvyn G & Smith, Eric, 1996. "Cross-Section Estimation of the Matching Function: Evidence from England and Wales," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 63(252), pages 589-97, November.
- Barras, Richard, 1990. "Interactive innovation in financial and business services: The vanguard of the service revolution," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 215-237, June.
- Ulrich Kaiser, 2000. "New Technologies And The Demand For Heterogeneous Labor: Firm-Level Evidence For The German Business-Related Service Sector," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(5), pages 465-486.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Callen, Jeffrey L. & Fader, Chris & Krinsky, Itzhak, 2000. "Just-in-time: A cross-sectional plant analysis," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 277-301, January.
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Equilibrium Unemployment Theory, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262161877, December.
- Oliver Jean Blanchard & Peter Diamond, 1989. "The Beveridge Curve," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 20(1), pages 1-76.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charles Bollen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.