Protecting workers against unemployment in Uruguay
AbstractThis paper considers the main institutional features of the Uruguayan labor market and its recent evolution, with a focus on unemployment. The main policies aimed at protecting workers against unemployment are analyzed. Using administrative data from social security records, the paper studies the dynamics of the labor market. Particularly examined are inflows and outflows from the formal labor market, as well as the effect, in terms of earnings loss, of episodes out of the formal labor market. Finally, an impact evaluation of recent changes in the unemployment insurance program is presented.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto de Economia - IECON in its series Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) with number 12-08.
Length: 99 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2012
Date of revision:
Unemployment insurance; Entry and exit rates; Earnings loss; Impact evaluation;
Other versions of this item:
- Veronica Amarante & Rodrigo Arim & Andres Dean, 2011. "Protecting Workers against Unemployment in Uruguay," Research Department Publications 4731, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- J01 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - General - - - Labor Economics: General
- J08 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - General - - - Labor Economics Policies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-12-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-IAS-2012-12-22 (Insurance Economics)
- NEP-LAB-2012-12-22 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-LAM-2012-12-22 (Central & South America)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lalive, Rafael, 2006.
"How Do Extended Benefits Affect Unemployment Duration? A Regression Discontinuity Approach,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2200, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Lalive, Rafael, 2008. "How do extended benefits affect unemployment duration A regression discontinuity approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(2), pages 785-806, February.
- Lalive, Rafael, 2006. "How do extended benefits affect unemployment duration? A regression discontinuity approach," Working Paper Series 2006:8, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Rafael LALIVE, 2006. "How do Extended Benefits affect Unemployment Duration? A Regression Discontinuity Approach," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 06.06, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Rafael Lalive, 2006. "How do Extended Benefits Affect Unemployment Duration? A Regression Discontinuity Approach," CESifo Working Paper Series 1765, CESifo Group Munich.
- Rafael Lalive, 2006. "How do Extended Benefits affect Unemployment Duration? A Regression Discontinuity Approach," IEW - Working Papers 294, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Ruhm, Christopher J, 1991. "Are Workers Permanently Scarred by Job Displacements?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 319-24, March.
- Verónica Amarante & Andrés Dean, 2012. "Dinámica del mercado laboral uruguayo," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 12-17, Instituto de Economia - IECON.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Matias Cadepont).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.