Demand for Internet Access and Use in Spain
AbstractThe goal of this paper is to analyze a new phenomenon: Internet demand in Spain. To do so, we use a new high quality data set and advanced econometric techniques for estimating Internet demand functions, incorporating the socio-demographic characteristics of the individuals. We begin with a graphic analysis of the data, searching for relationships between the different characteristics. Then we specify and estimate two econometric models, one for broadband access at home and another for Internet use intensity. We also find that 25.2% of the Spanish population accesses the Internet at home, but less than half uses broadband connection. This demand is positively related to income and other technological attributes and negatively related to socio-demographic attributes such as habitat and age. Our results are compatible with previous literature for other countries, although there is a important difference: broadband Internet connections are still considered as a luxury good in Spain.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Instituto Complutense de Análisis Económico in its series Documentos de Trabajo del ICAE with number 0506.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Postal: Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales. Pabellón prefabricado, 1ª Planta, ala norte. Campus de Somosaguas, 28223 - POZUELO DE ALARCÓN (MADRID)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C2 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-09-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-ICT-2006-09-16 (Information & Communication Technologies)
- NEP-MKT-2006-09-16 (Marketing)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roland Artle & Christian Averous, 1973. "The Telephone System as a Public Good: Static and Dynamic Aspects," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(1), pages 89-100, Spring.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Águeda González Abad).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.