Information Inequality and Broadband Network Access: An Analysis of Australian Household Data
AbstractThere has been considerable debate in Australia concerning the social and economies effects of telecommunications carrier investment in broadband network infrastructure. Whether particular groups within networked communities are unable or unwilling to subscribe to broadband services is an important policy issue. This paper sets oat to identify metropolitan households that are less likely to subscribe to services and examines whether there exists a systematic link between subscription interest and measures of social disadvantage Analysis of stated-preference subscription intentions data, obtained from an Australia-wide survey of 715 households, shows that there is potential for the news communication technology to create information inequality. Copyright 1996 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Industrial & Corporate Change.
Volume (Year): 5 (1996)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://icc.oupjournals.org/
Other versions of this item:
- Madden, Gary G & Savage, Scott J & Simpson, Michael, 1997. "Information inequality and broadband network access: an analysis of Australian household data," MPRA Paper 12062, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- L96 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Telecommunications
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary Madden & Michael Simpson, 1997.
"Residential broadband subscription demand: an econometric analysis of Australian choice experiment data,"
Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(8), pages 1073-1078.
- Madden, Gary G & Simpson, Michael, 1997. "Residential broadband subscription demand: an econometric analysis of Australian choice experiment data," MPRA Paper 11936, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Park, Rolla Edward & Mitchell, Bridger M. & Wetzel, Bruce M. & Alleman, James H., 1983. "Charging for local telephone calls : How household characteristics affect the distribution of calls in the GTE Illinois experiment," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 339-364, August.
- Madden, Gary, 1995. "Experimentation in Economics: An Overview of the Stated-Preference Experimental Design Method," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(64), pages 120-35, June.
- Panzar, John C & Wildman, Steven S, 1995. "Network Competition and the Provision of Universal Service," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(4), pages 711-19.
- Baranes, Edmond & Bourreau, Marc, 2005.
"An Economist's Guide to Local Loop Unbundling,"
2440, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Victor Glass & Stela Stefanova, 2010. "An empirical study of broadband diffusion in rural America," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 70-85, August.
- Leonel Cerno & Teodosio Pérez Amaral, 2006. "Medición y Determinantes de la Brecha Tecnológica en España," Documentos de Trabajo del ICAE, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias EconÃ³micas y Empresariales, Instituto Complutense de AnÃ¡lisis EconÃ³mico 0601, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Instituto Complutense de Análisis Económico.
- Mª Mercedes Carmona Martínez & Leonarda García Jiménez, 2007. "Difusión del uso de Internet en España. ¿Existe una brecha digital entre Comunidades Autónomas?," Revista de Estudios Regionales, Universidades Públicas de Andalucía, Universidades Públicas de Andalucía, vol. 3, pages 193-228.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.