EMU: Ready, or Not?
AbstractIn this paper I focus on two specific hazard areas in the transition from Stage Two to Stage Three of European economic and monetary union (EMU), as well as on some key problems of Stage Three that EMU's monetary and fiscal structures appear ill-prepared to handle. The transitional hazards are of considerable theoretical as well as policy interest: the best way to coordinate monetary stances and lock exchange parities for a smooth switch from eleven national currencies to a single joint currency. A third problem, one that is central for EMU and to any currency union, lies behind the difficulty of the transition: the possibility of nationally asymmetric real shocks. I review that topic in the context of Ireland's recent experience. The paper goes on to discuss weaknesses in the structure of Stage Three, already much noted, connected with the provision of lender of last resort facilities in the euro zone and the framework for supervising financial institutions. The deficit and debt limits embodied in the excessive deficits procedure of the Maastricht treaty and the subsequent Stability and Growth Pact have been justified by the threat high debts might pose to the stability of the euro zone's financial markets. I consider the past and prospective fiscal adjustments of the EMU 11, and suggest these might pose future difficulties for macroeconomic policy and growth.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of California at Berkeley in its series Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers with number C98-101.
Date of creation: 01 Jul 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA USA
Web page: http://www.haas.berkeley.edu/groups/iber/wps/ciderwp.htm
More information through EDIRC
Postal: IBER, F502 Haas Building, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley CA 94720-1922
Other versions of this item:
- Maurice Obstfeld, 2000. "EMU: Ready, or Not?," International Trade 0003001, EconWPA.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1998. "EMU: Ready, or Not?," Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series qt8qn3v8j3, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1999. "EMU: Ready, or Not?," NBER Working Papers 6682, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Obstfeld, M., 1998. "EMU: Ready or Not?," Princeton Essays in International Economics 209, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- F02 - International Economics - - General - - - International Economic Order; Noneconomic International Organizations;; Economic Integration and Globalization: General
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1998.
"A strategy for launching the Euro,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 42(6), pages 975-1007, June.
- Calmfors, L., 1998. "Unemployment, Labour-Market Reform and Monetary Union," Papers 639, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- D. F. I. Folkerts-Landau & Peter M. Garber, 1994. "Determining the Value of a Financial Unit of Account Basedon Composite Currencies," IMF Working Papers 94/72, International Monetary Fund.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Giovanni Peri, 1998. "Regional non-adjustment and fiscal policy," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 13(26), pages 205-259, 04.
- Pu Shen, 1997. "Settlement risk in large-value payments systems," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q II, pages 45-62.
- repec:fth:coluec:754 is not listed on IDEAS
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1997. "Europe's gamble," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 28(2), pages 241-317.
- Alesina, Alberto & Perotti, Roberto, 1997.
"The Welfare State and Competitiveness,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 87(5), pages 921-39, December.
- Alberto Alesina & Roberto Perotti, 1995. "Fiscal Expansions and Fiscal Adjustments in OECD Countries," NBER Working Papers 5214, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenen,Peter B., 1995. "Economic and Monetary Union in Europe," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521558839, April.
- David Folkerts-Landau & Peter M. Garber, 1995. "Determining the Value of a Financial Unit of Account Based on Composite Currencies: The Case of the Private ECU," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 42(1), pages 134-157, March.
- Calmfors, Lars, 1998. "Unemployment, Labour-Market Reform and Monetary Union," Seminar Papers 639, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Robert P. Flood & Peter M. Garber, 2000. "Is Launching the Euro Unstable in the Endgame?," NBER Chapters, in: Currency Crises, pages 163-177 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenen, Peter B, 1998. "Monetary Policy in Stage Three: A Review of the Framework Proposed by the European Monetary Institute," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 3(1), pages 3-12, January.
- Goodhart, Charles & Schoenmaker, Dirk, 1995. "Should the Functions of Monetary Policy and Banking Supervision Be Separated?," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(4), pages 539-60, October.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 1993. "European Monetary Unification," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(3), pages 1321-57, September.
- Perotti, Roberto & Alesina, Alberto, 1997. "The Welfare State and Competitiveness," Scholarly Articles 4553027, Harvard University Department of Economics.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.