Settlement risk in large-value payments systems
AbstractThe phenomenal growth of financial market and trading activities worldwide has led to tremendous growth in large-value payments systems. Large-value payments systems are the electronic banks used to transfer large payments among themselves. Payment orders processed in such systems in the United States, for example, are typically well above $1 million. ; The tremendous growth of payments system use throughout the world has increased both the possibility of settlement failures and the potential impact of such failures. In 1996, the average turnover in a single day exceeded the combined capital of the top 100 U.S. banks. Regulators are especially concerned that payments systems might turn a local financial crisis into a global systemic crisis. Shen examines settlement risk in large-value payments systems and discusses some of the measures available to manage such risk.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City in its journal Economic Review.
Volume (Year): (1997)
Issue (Month): Q II ()
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1998.
"EMU: Ready, or Not?,"
Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series
qt8qn3v8j3, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Maurice Obstfeld., 1998. "EMU: Ready, or Not?," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C98-101, University of California at Berkeley.
- Obstfeld, M., 1998. "EMU: Ready or Not?," Princeton Essays in International Economics 209, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 2000. "EMU: Ready, or Not?," International Trade 0003001, EconWPA.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1999. "EMU: Ready, or Not?," NBER Working Papers 6682, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William R. Emmons, 1997. "Recent developments in wholesale payments systems," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov, pages 23-43.
- Selgin, George, 2004. "Wholesale payments: questioning the market-failure hypothesis," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 333-350, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lu Dayrit).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.