Convergence Rates for III-Posed Inverse Problems with an Unknown Operator
AbstractThis paper studies the estimation of a nonparametric function ' from the inverse problem r = T' given estimates of the function r and of the linear transform T. The rate of convergence of the estimator is derived under two assumptions expressed in a Hilbert scale. The approach provides a unified framework that allows to compare various sets of structural assumptions used in the econometrics literature. General upper bounds are derived for the risk of the estimator of the structural function ' as well as of its derivatives. It is shown that the bounds cover and extend known results given in the literature. Particularly, they imply new results in two applications. The first application is the blind nonparametric deconvolution on the real line, and the second application is the estimation of the derivatives of the nonparametric instrumental regression function via an iterative Tikhonov regularization scheme.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Toulouse School of Economics (TSE) in its series TSE Working Papers with number 09-030.
Date of creation: 03 Apr 2009
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Econometric Theory, vol.�27, n°3, juin 2011, p.�522-545.
inverse problem; Hibert scale; blind deconvolution;
Other versions of this item:
- Johannes, Jan & Van Bellegem, Sébastien & Vanhems, Anne, 2011. "Convergence Rates For Ill-Posed Inverse Problems With An Unknown Operator," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(03), pages 522-545, June.
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C30 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Florens, Jean-Pierre & Johannes, Jan & Van Bellegem, Sébastien, 2009.
"Instrumental Regression in Partially Linear Models,"
IDEI Working Papers
613, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Jean‐Pierre Florens & Jan Johannes & Sébastien Van Bellegem, 2012. "Instrumental regression in partially linear models," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 15(2), pages 304-324, 06.
- FLORENS, Jean-Pierre & JOHANNES, Jan & VAN BELLEGEM, Sébastien, 2006. "Instrumental regression in partially linear models," CORE Discussion Papers 2006025, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Florens, Jean-Pierre & Johannes, Jan & Van Bellegem, Sébastien, 2009. "Instrumental Regression in Partially Linear Models," TSE Working Papers 10-167, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Bigot, Jérôme & Van Bellegem, Sébastien, 2009.
"Log-Density Deconvolution by Wavelet Thresholding,"
TSE Working Papers
09-011, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Jérémie Bigot & Sébastien Van Bellegem, 2009. "Log-density Deconvolution by Wavelet Thresholding," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics & Finnish Statistical Society & Norwegian Statistical Association & Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 36(4), pages 749-763.
- Carrasco, Marine & Florens, Jean-Pierre, 2002.
"Spectral Method for Deconvolving a Density,"
IDEI Working Papers
138, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised 2009.
- Fabien Postel-Vinay & Jean-Marc Robin, 2002.
"Equilibrium Wage Dispersion with Worker and Employer Heterogeneity,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(6), pages 2295-2350, November.
- Postel-Vinay & Robin, 2002. "Equilibrium wage dispersion with worker and employer heterogeneity," Working Papers 155908, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Postel-Vinay, Fabien & Robin, Jean-Marc, 2002. "Equilibrium Wage Dispersion with Worker and Employer Heterogeneity," CEPR Discussion Papers 3548, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Whitney K. Newey & James L. Powell, 2003. "Instrumental Variable Estimation of Nonparametric Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1565-1578, 09.
- Richard Blundell & Xiaohong Chen & Dennis Kristensen, 2003. "Nonparametric IV estimation of shape-invariant Engel curves," CeMMAP working papers CWP15/03, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Richard Blundell & Xiaohong Chen & Dennis Kristensen, 2007. "Semi-Nonparametric IV Estimation of Shape-Invariant Engel Curves," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(6), pages 1613-1669, November.
- Bissantz, Nicolai & Hohage, T. & Munk, Axel & Ruymgaart, F., 2007. "Convergence rates of general regularization methods for statistical inverse problems and applications," Technical Reports 2007,04, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Carrasco, Marine & Florens, Jean-Pierre & Renault, Eric, 2007. "Linear Inverse Problems in Structural Econometrics Estimation Based on Spectral Decomposition and Regularization," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 6, chapter 77 Elsevier.
- Stéphane Bonhomme & Jean-Marc Robin, 2008.
"Generalized nonparametric deconvolution with an application to earnings dynamics,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP03/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Stéphane Bonhomme & Jean-Marc Robin, 2010. "Generalized Non-Parametric Deconvolution with an Application to Earnings Dynamics," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 77(2), pages 491-533.
- Schwarz, Maik & Van Bellegem, Sébastien, 2009.
"Consistent Density Deconvolution under Partially Known Error Distribution,"
TSE Working Papers
09-097, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Schwarz, Maik & Van Bellegem, Sébastien, 2010. "Consistent density deconvolution under partially known error distribution," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(3-4), pages 236-241, February.
- Schwarz, Maik & Van Bellegem, Sébastien, 2009. "Consistent Density Deconvolution under Partially Known Error Distribution," IDEI Working Papers 632, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Anna Simoni & Jean-Pierre Florens, 2013. "Regularizing Priors for Linear Inverse Problems," THEMA Working Papers 2013-32, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Jean-Pierre Florens & Anna Simoni, 2013. "Regularizing Priors for Linear Inverse Problems," Working Papers hal-00873180, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.