Convergence rates of general regularization methods for statistical inverse problems and applications
AbstractDuring the past the convergence analysis for linear statistical inverse problems has mainly focused on spectral cut-off and Tikhonov type estimators. Spectral cut-off estimators achieve minimax rates for a broad range of smoothness classes and operators, but their practical usefulness is limited by the fact that they require a complete spectral decomposition of the operator. Tikhonov estimators are simpler to compute, but still involve the inversion of an operator and achieve minimax rates only in restricted smoothness classes. In this paper we introduce a unifying technique to study the mean square error of a large class of regularization methods (spectral methods) including the aforementioned estimators as well as many iterative methods, such as í-methods and the Landweber iteration. The latter estimators converge at the same rate as spectral cut-off, but only require matrixvector products. Our results are applied to various problems, in particular we obtain precise convergence rates for satellite gradiometry, L2-boosting, and errors in variable problems. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen in its series Technical Reports with number 2007,04.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Vogelpothsweg 78, D-44221 Dortmund
Phone: (0231) 755-3125
Fax: (0231) 755-5284
Web page: http://www.statistik.tu-dortmund.de/sfb475.html
More information through EDIRC
Statistical inverse problems; iterative regularization methods; Tikhonov regularization; nonparametric regression; minimax convergence rates; satellite gradiometry; Hilbert scales; boosting; errors in variable;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Axel Munk, 2002. "Testing the Goodness of Fit of Parametric Regression Models with Random Toeplitz Forms," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics & Finnish Statistical Society & Norwegian Statistical Association & Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 29(3), pages 501-533.
- Buhlmann P. & Yu B., 2003. "Boosting With the L2 Loss: Regression and Classification," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 98, pages 324-339, January.
- Iain M. Johnstone & Gérard Kerkyacharian & Dominique Picard & Marc Raimondo, 2004. "Wavelet deconvolution in a periodic setting," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 66(3), pages 547-573.
- Kim, Peter T. & Koo, Ja-Yong, 2002. "Optimal Spherical Deconvolution," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 21-42, January.
- Healy, Dennis M. & Hendriks, Harrie & Kim, Peter T., 1998. "Spherical Deconvolution," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 1-22, October.
- Hotz, Thomas & Marnitz, Philipp & Stichtenoth, Rahel & Davies, Laurie & Kabluchko, Zakhar & Munk, Axel, 2012. "Locally adaptive image denoising by a statistical multiresolution criterion," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 543-558.
- Johannes, Jan & Van Bellegem, Sébastien & Vanhems, Anne, 2009.
"Convergence Rates for III-Posed Inverse Problems with an Unknown Operator,"
TSE Working Papers
09-030, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Johannes, Jan & Van Bellegem, Sébastien & Vanhems, Anne, 2011. "Convergence Rates For Ill-Posed Inverse Problems With An Unknown Operator," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(03), pages 522-545, June.
- Dahmani, Abdelnasser & Ait Saidi, Ahmed & Bouhmila, Fatah & Aissani, Mouloud, 2009. "Consistency of the Tikhonov's regularization in an ill-posed problem with random data," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(6), pages 722-727, March.
- Xiaohong Chen & Markus Reiss, 2007.
"On rate optimality for ill-posed inverse problems in econometrics,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP20/07, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Chen, Xiaohong & Reiss, Markus, 2011. "On Rate Optimality For Ill-Posed Inverse Problems In Econometrics," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(03), pages 497-521, June.
- Xiaohong Chen & Markus Reiss, 2007. "On Rate Optimality for Ill-posed Inverse Problems in Econometrics," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1626, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Xiaohong Chen & Demian Pouzo, 2008. "Estimation of Nonparametric Conditional Moment Models With Possibly Nonsmooth Generalized Residuals," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1650R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 2009.
- Kim, Peter T. & Koo, Ja-Yong & Luo, Zhi-Ming, 2009. "Weyl eigenvalue asymptotics and sharp adaptation on vector bundles," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(9), pages 1962-1978, October.
- Bissantz, Nicolai & Birke, Melanie, 2009. "Asymptotic normality and confidence intervals for inverse regression models with convolution-type operators," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(10), pages 2364-2375, November.
- Bissantz, Nicolai & Birke, Melanie, 2008. "Asymptotic normality and confidence intervals for inverse regression models with convolution-type operators," Technical Reports 2008,17, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Anna Simoni & Jean-Pierre Florens, 2013. "Regularizing Priors for Linear Inverse Problems," THEMA Working Papers 2013-32, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Chen, Xiaohong & Pouzo, Demian, 2008. "Estimation of Nonparametric Conditional Moment Models with Possibly Nonsmooth Moments," Working Papers 47, Yale University, Department of Economics.
- Birke, Melanie & Bissantz, Nicolai & Holzmann, Hajo, 2008. "Confidence bands for inverse regression models with application to gel electrophoresis," Technical Reports 2008,16, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.