Is Japanese FDI a Substitute for or a Complement to Trade in Asia?
AbstractThis paper analyzes the effects of Japanese FDI on international trade in manufacturing industries during the period 1989-2004. The panel regressions are conducted for the net export of the six selected Asian countries at a sectoral level. The econometric analysis reveals some FDI tends to simulate bilateral trade, while other FDI has a tendency to reduce the volume of bilateral trade. The analysis also reveals that FDI into non-manufacturing sectors and all other manufacturing sectors has spillover effects on trade of manufactured goods in some countries and manufacturing industries. The relationship between capital movement and bilateral trade is not one consistent pattern of substitutability or complementarity but differs across manufacturing sectors and countries in Asia.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Graduate School of Economics and Management, Tohoku University in its series TERG Discussion Papers with number 236.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2008
Date of revision: Oct 2008
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Kawauchi, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8476
Web page: http://www.econ.tohoku.ac.jp/econ/english/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Douglas D. Purvis, 1971.
"Technology, Trade and Factor Mobility,"
54, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Wong, Kar-yiu, 1986. "Are international trade and factor mobility substitutes?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1-2), pages 25-43, August.
- Markusen, James R., 1983. "Factor movements and commodity trade as complements," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3-4), pages 341-356, May.
- Riddell, W Craig, 1981. "Contemporaneous Correlation in Wage Contract Studies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(2), pages 515-16, March.
- William J. Collins & Kevin H. O'Rourke & Jeffrey Williamson, 1997.
"Were Trade and Factor Mobility Substitutes in History?,"
NBER Working Papers
6059, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Collins, William J & O'Rourke, Kevin H & Williamson, Jeffrey G, 1997. "Were Trade and Factor Mobility Substitutes in History?," CEPR Discussion Papers 1661, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Collins, W-J & O'Rourke, K-H & Williamson, J-G, 1997. "Were Trade and Factor Mobility Substitutes in History?," Papers 97/15, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- Belderbos, Rene & Sleuwaegen, Leo, 1998. "Tariff jumping DFI and export substitution: Japanese electronics firms in Europe," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 601-638, September.
- Kloek, T, 1981. "OLS Estimation in a Model Where a Microvariable Is Explained by Aggregates and Contemporaneous Disturbances Are Equicorrelated," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(1), pages 205-07, January.
- Roger Svensson, 1996. "Effects of overseas production on home country exports: Evidence based on Swedish multinationals," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 132(2), pages 304-329, September.
- Breusch, T S & Pagan, A R, 1979. "A Simple Test for Heteroscedasticity and Random Coefficient Variation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1287-94, September.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Robert E. Lipsey & Ksenia Kulchycky, 1989.
"U.S. and Swedish Direct Investment and Exports,"
NBER Working Papers
2390, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lipsey, Robert E & Weiss, Merle Yahr, 1984. "Foreign Production and Exports of Individual Firms," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 66(2), pages 304-08, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tohoku University Library).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.