Time Series Nonparametric Regression Using Asymmetric Kernels with an Application to Estimation of Scalar Diffusion Processes
AbstractThis paper considers a nonstandard kernel regression for strongly mixing processes when the regressor is nonnegative. The nonparametric regression is implemented using asymmetric kernels [Gamma (Chen, 2000b), Inverse Gaussian and Reciprocal Inverse Gaussian (Scaillet, 2004) kernels] that possess some appealing properties such as lack of boundary bias and adaptability in the amount of smoothing. The paper investigates the asymptotic and finite-sample properties of the asymmetric kernel Nadaraya-Watson, local linear, and re-weighted Nadaraya-Watson estimators. Pointwise weak consistency, rates of convergence and asymptotic normality are established for each of these estimators. As an important economic application of asymmetric kernel regression estimators, we reexamine the problem of estimating scalar diffusion processes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo in its series CIRJE F-Series with number CIRJE-F-573.
Date of creation: Jun 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-07-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2008-07-05 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2008-07-05 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-ORE-2008-07-05 (Operations Research)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher S. Jones, 2003. "Nonlinear Mean Reversion in the Short-Term Interest Rate," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 16(3), pages 793-843, July.
- Lu, Zudi & Linton, Oliver, 2007. "Local Linear Fitting Under Near Epoch Dependence," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(01), pages 37-70, February.
- Bruce M. Brown, 1999. "Beta-Bernstein Smoothing for Regression Curves with Compact Support," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 26(1), pages 47-59.
- Chen, Song Xi, 1999.
"Local linear smoothers using asymmetric kernels,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
1999,100, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Song Chen, 2002. "Local Linear Smoothers Using Asymmetric Kernels," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 54(2), pages 312-323, June.
- Fernandes, Marcelo & Monteiro, Paulo Klinger, 2004.
"Central limit theorem for asymmetric kernel functionals,"
Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE)
522, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Marcelo Fernandes & Paulo Monteiro, 2005. "Central limit theorem for asymmetric kernel functionals," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 57(3), pages 425-442, September.
- Fernandes, M., 2000. "Central Limit Theorem for Asymmetric Kernel Functionals," Economics Working Papers eco2000/1, European University Institute.
- Chen, Song Xi, 1999. "Beta kernel estimators for density functions," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 131-145, August.
- Matthias Hagmann & Olivier Scaillet, 2004.
"Local Multiplicative Bias Correction For Asymmetric Kernel Density Estimators,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004
25, Royal Economic Society.
- Hagmann, M. & Scaillet, O., 2007. "Local multiplicative bias correction for asymmetric kernel density estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 213-249, November.
- Matthias HAGMANN & Olivier SCAILLET, 2003. "Local Multiplicative Bias Correction for Asymmetric Kernel Density Estimators," FAME Research Paper Series rp91, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Jun Yu & Peter Phillips, 2004.
"Jackknifing Bond Option Prices,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings
115, Econometric Society.
- M.C. Jones & D.A. Henderson, 2007. "Miscellanea Kernel-Type Density Estimation on the Unit Interval," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 94(4), pages 977-984.
- Peter Hall & Rodney C. L. Wolff & Qiwei Yao, 1999. "Methods for estimating a conditional distribution function," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6631, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Bandi, Federico M., 2002. "Short-term interest rate dynamics: a spatial approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 73-110, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.