Nonparametric multiplicative bias correction for kernel-type density estimation on the unit interval
AbstractThis paper demonstrates that two classes of multiplicative bias correction (MBC) techniques, originally proposed for density estimation using symmetric second-order kernels by Terrell and Scott (1980) and Jones etÂ al. (1995), can be applied to density estimation using the beta and modified beta kernels. It is shown that, under sufficient smoothness of the true density, both MBC techniques reduce the order of magnitude in bias, whereas the order of magnitude in variance remains unchanged. Accordingly, mean squared errors of these MBC estimators achieve a faster convergence rate of O(n-8/9) for the interior part, when best implemented. Furthermore, the estimators always generate nonnegative density estimates by construction. To implement the MBC estimators, a plug-in smoothing parameter choice method is proposed. Monte Carlo simulations indicate good finite sample performance of the estimators.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Computational Statistics & Data Analysis.
Volume (Year): 54 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/csda
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matthias HAGMANN & Olivier SCAILLET, 2003.
"Local Multiplicative Bias Correction for Asymmetric Kernel Density Estimators,"
FAME Research Paper Series
rp91, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Hagmann, M. & Scaillet, O., 2007. "Local multiplicative bias correction for asymmetric kernel density estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 213-249, November.
- Matthias Hagmann & Olivier Scaillet, 2004. "Local Multiplicative Bias Correction For Asymmetric Kernel Density Estimators," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004 25, Royal Economic Society.
- Christian Gourieroux & Alain Monfort, 2006. "(Non) consistency of the Beta Kernel Estimator for Recovery Rate Distribution," Working Papers 2006-31, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Masayuki Hirukawa, 2006. "A Modified Nonparametric Prewhitened Covariance Estimator," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 441-476, 05.
- Song Chen, 2000. "Probability Density Function Estimation Using Gamma Kernels," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 52(3), pages 471-480, September.
- Nikolay Gospodinov & Masayuki Hirukawa, 2008. "Time Series Nonparametric Regression Using Asymmetric Kernels with an Application to Estimation of Scalar Diffusion Processes," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-573, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Gustafsson, J. & Hagmann, M. & Nielsen, J. P. & Scaillet, O., 2009.
"Local Transformation Kernel Density Estimation of Loss Distributions,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 27(2), pages 161-175.
- J. Gustafsson & M. Hagmann & J.P. Nielsen & O. Scaillet, 2006. "Local Transformation Kernel Density Estimation of Loss Distributions," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 06-32, Swiss Finance Institute, revised Jun 2007.
- Bruce M. Brown, 1999. "Beta-Bernstein Smoothing for Regression Curves with Compact Support," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics & Finnish Statistical Society & Norwegian Statistical Association & Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 26(1), pages 47-59.
- Olivier RENAULT & Olivier SCAILLET, 2003.
"On the Way to Recovery: A Nonparametric Bias Free Estimation of Recovery Rate Densities,"
FAME Research Paper Series
rp83, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Renault, Olivier & Scaillet, Olivier, 2004. "On the way to recovery: A nonparametric bias free estimation of recovery rate densities," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(12), pages 2915-2931, December.
- Chen, Song Xi, 1999. "Beta kernel estimators for density functions," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 131-145, August.
- M.C. Jones & D.A. Henderson, 2007. "Miscellanea Kernel-Type Density Estimation on the Unit Interval," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 94(4), pages 977-984.
- Jens Perch Nielsen, 2001. "Boundary and Bias Correction in Kernel Hazard Estimation," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics & Finnish Statistical Society & Norwegian Statistical Association & Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 28(4), pages 675-698.
- Linton, Oliver & Nielsen, Jens Perch, 1994. "A multiplicative bias reduction method for nonparametric regression," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 181-187, February.
- Adriano Z. Zambom & Ronaldo Dias, 2013. "A Review of Kernel Density Estimation with Applications to Econometrics," Articles of International Econometric Review (IER), Econometric Research Association, vol. 5(1), pages 20-42, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.