Local Transformation Kernel Density Estimation of Loss Distributions
AbstractWe develop a tailor made semiparametric asymmetric kernel density estimator for the estimation of actuarial loss distributions. The estimator is obtained by transforming the data with the generalized Champernowne distribution initially fitted to the data. Then the density of the transformed data is estimated by use of local asymmetric kernel methods to obtain superior estimation properties in the tails. We find in a vast simulation study that the proposed semiparametric estimation procedure performs well relative to alternative estimators. An application to operational loss data illustrates the proposed method.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Statistical Association in its journal Journal of Business and Economic Statistics.
Volume (Year): 27 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.amstat.org/publications/jbes/index.cfm?fuseaction=main
Other versions of this item:
- J. Gustafsson & M. Hagmann & J.P. Nielsen & O. Scaillet, 2006. "Local Transformation Kernel Density Estimation of Loss Distributions," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 06-32, Swiss Finance Institute, revised Jun 2007.
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hirukawa, Masayuki & Sakudo, Mari, 2014. "Nonnegative bias reduction methods for density estimation using asymmetric kernels," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 75(C), pages 112-123.
- Hirukawa, Masayuki, 2010. "Nonparametric multiplicative bias correction for kernel-type density estimation on the unit interval," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 473-495, February.
- Buch-Kromann, Tine & Guillén, Montserrat & Linton, Oliver & Nielsen, Jens Perch, 2011. "Multivariate density estimation using dimension reducing information and tail flattening transformations," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 99-110, January.
- Nikolay Gospodinov & Masayuki Hirukawa, 2008. "Nonparametric Estimation of Scalar Diffusion Processes of Interest Rates Using Asymmetric Kernels," Working Papers 08011, Concordia University, Department of Economics, revised Dec 2008.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.