Exchange Rate Misalignment: A New Test of Long-Run PPP Based on Cross-Country Data
AbstractWe formulate and implement a new empirical procedure to examine the validity of PPP in the long-run for 153 countries by using the familiar cross-country data set of Heston, Summers, and Aten (2002). Unlike the existing studies that rely on mean reversion of real exchange rates, we explicitly examine country-specificity in the deviations of the nominal exchange rate from PPP. We find, first, that out of a total of 153 countries, 132 countries have achieved PPP within twenty years, 1980-2000 and 105 countries have attained PPP over ten years, 1990-2000. Second, according to the results, our method can be accepted as a workable shortcut of the direct, fullinformation approach of Yotopoulos (1996) that tests for long-run PPP utilizing micro-ICP data. This becomes an important characteristic of this paper since comprehensive micro-ICP data are no longer easily available. As a by-product, of the empirical validation of our shortcut approach, our empirical results are in favor of the Ricardo-Balassa-Samuelson effect.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo in its series CIRJE F-Series with number CIRJE-F-318.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Pan Yotopoulos & Yasuyuki Sawada, 2006. "Exchange rate misalignment: a new test of long-run PPP based on cross-country data," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1-2), pages 127-134.
- NEP-ALL-2005-02-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2005-02-20 (Central Banking)
- NEP-DEV-2005-02-20 (Development)
- NEP-IFN-2005-02-20 (International Finance)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yasuyuki Sawada & Pan A. Yotopoulos, 2006. "Growth and Poverty Reduction Under Globalization: The Systematic Impact of Exchange Rate Misalignment," Discussion Papers 06-014, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Hsing, Yu, 2009. "Analysis of the Behavior of the New Zealand Dollar Exchange Rate: Comparison of Four Major Models," Review of Applied Economics, Review of Applied Economics, vol. 5(1-2).
- Yasuyuki Swada & Pan A. Yotopoulos, 2005. "Corner Solutions, Crises, and Capital Controls: A Theory and an Empirical Analyas on the Optimal Exchane Rate Regime in Emerging Economies," Discussion Papers 04-037, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Aliyu, Shehu Usman Rano, 2008.
"Exchange Rate Volatility and Export Trade in Nigeria: An Empirical Investigation,"
13490, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 17 Feb 2009.
- Shehu Usman Rano Aliyu, 2010. "Exchange rate volatility and export trade in Nigeria: an empirical investigation," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(13), pages 1071-1084.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.