Community Schools Unfolded: A review of the literature
AbstractCommunity schools are quickly increasing in number, but there is no evidence whether they are more effective than traditional schools. No study has empirically compared community schools to other schools. This study reviews the literature on the effectiveness of community schools. We focus on their three main components: cooperation with external organizations, parental involvement, and extracurricular activities. This review indicates that involving external organizations seems valuable in terms of social cohesion in neighborhoods. Parental involvement is particularly important for the educational development of lower socio-economic status families. Extracurricular activities positively relate to students? development in academic and social terms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Top Institute for Evidence Based Education Research in its series Working Papers with number 41.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tierweb.nl
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-11-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-EDU-2011-11-14 (Education)
- NEP-URE-2011-11-14 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shulruf, Boaz & Tumen, Sarah & Tolley, Hilary, 2008. "Extracurricular activities in school, do they matter?," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 418-426, April.
- Aizer, Anna, 2004. "Home alone: supervision after school and child behavior," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(9-10), pages 1835-1848, August.
- Heers, M. & Van Klaveren, C. & Groot, W. and Maassen van den Brink, H., 2012. "The Impact of Community Schools on Student Dropout in Pre-vocational Education," Working Papers 45, Top Institute for Evidence Based Education Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jessica Segal).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.