International Development Assistance and Food Security
AbstractNot only has development assistance overall been falling in volume terms, but the share of this ODA going to improving agriculture and nutrition in developing countries has also fallen. This paper investigates the reasons for the declining commitment of donors to these areas and whether this can be reversed. Favourable policy changes to encourage agricultural development in many developing countries, as well as the steps take to open agricultural markets in the Uruguay Round, should help to improve the performance of agricultural aid projects and encourage greater donor commitment. Emphasis on a more poverty-focused agricultural development strategy would also help to build support among development NGOs in donor countries. The outlook for reversing the decline in food aid is less promising, although a series of food emergencies which greatly increased the numbers of refugees and displaced persons could alter this prognosis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics in its series Economics Policy Papers with number 982.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F35 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Aid
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bhattacharjee, J. P., 1977. "External assistance for food and agricultural development in the Third World," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 5(5-7), pages 633-639.
- Shaw, D. J. & Singer, H. W., 1996. "A future food aid regime: Implications of final act of the Uruguay round," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(4-5), pages 447-460.
- von Braun, Joachim. & Hopkins, Raymond F. & Puetz, Detlev & Pandya-Lorch, Rajul, 1993. "Aid to agriculture," Food policy reports 2, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Gabre-Madhin, Eleni Z. & Haggblade, Steven, 2003. "Successes in African agriculture," MSSD discussion papers 53, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patricia Hughes).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.