Can Central Bank Interventions Affect the Exchange Rate Volatility? Multivariate GARCH Approach Using Constrained Nonlinear Programming
AbstractThis study examines the impact of foreign currency market interventions of the Central Bank of Turkey (CBT) in a multivariate GARCH framework. CBT has switched to the floating exchange rate regime since 2001 crisis and announced that the interventions in the foreign exchange markets are aimed at reducing the volatility of the USD/YTL and EUR/YTL. However the literature documents that, foreign exchange interventions lead to an increase in exchange rate volatility. In an attempt to calculate the volatility, we employ a bivariate GARCH estimation with non-linear constrained optimization (NLP)  and BEKK  on the USD/YTL and EUR/YTL. Our results shed some doubt about the efficiency of these interventions in stabilizing the Turkish Lira market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey in its series Working Papers with number 0806.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Head Office, Istiklal Cad. 10 Ulus, 06100 Ankara
Phone: (90 312) 507 5000
Fax: (90 312) 507 5640
Web page: http://www.tcmb.gov.tr
More information through EDIRC
Time series econometrics; Constrained Nonlinear programming; Multivariate GARCH; FOREX Interventions.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-08-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2008-08-31 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2008-08-31 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2008-08-31 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-ORE-2008-08-31 (Operations Research)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baillie, Richard T. & Osterberg, William P., 1997. "Why do central banks intervene?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 909-919, December.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Michel Beine & Charles Bos & Sébastien Laurent, 2007.
"The impact of Central Bank FX interventions on currency components,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/10419, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Michel Beine & Charles S. Bos & Sébastien Laurent, 2007. "The Impact of Central Bank FX Interventions on Currency Components," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 5(1), pages 154-183.
- Michel Beine & Charles S. Bos & Sebastian Laurent, 2005. "The Impact of Central Bank FX Interventions on Currency Components," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 05-103/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1988. "A Capital Asset Pricing Model with Time-Varying Covariances," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 116-31, February.
- Ozge Akinci & Olcay Yucel Culha & Umit Ozlale & Gulbin Sahinbeyoglu, 2005. "Causes and Effectiveness of Foreign Exchange Interventions for the Turkish Economy," Working Papers 0505, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Kim, Suk-Joong & Kortian, Tro & Sheen, Jeffrey, 2000. "Central bank intervention and exchange rate volatility -- Australian evidence," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 10(3-4), pages 381-405, December.
- Frenkel, Michael & Pierdzioch, Christian & Stadtmann, Georg, 2005.
"The effects of Japanese foreign exchange market interventions on the yen/U.S. dollar exchange rate volatility,"
International Review of Economics & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 27-39.
- Michael Frenkel & Christian Pierdzioch & Georg Stadtmann, 2003. "The Effects of Japanese Foreign Exchange Market Interventions on the Yen/U.S. Dollar Exchange Rate Volatility," Kiel Working Papers 1165, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Ozge Akinci & Olcay Yucel Culha & Umit Ozlale & Gulbin Sahinbeyoglu, 2005. "The Effectiveness of Foreign Exchange Interventions for the Turkish Economy : A Post-Crisis Period Analysis," Working Papers 0506, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gulhanim Kayatas).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.