Network Neutrality and Network Management Regulation: Quality of Service, Price Discrimination, and Exclusive Contracts
AbstractWe compare four approaches to network neutrality and network management regulation in a two-sided market model: (i) no variations in Quality of Service and no price discrimination; (ii) variations in Quality of Service but no price discrimination; (iii) variations in Quality of Service and price discrimination but no exclusive contracts; and (iv) no regulation: the network operator can sell exclusive rights to content providers. We compare the equilibrium outcomes explicitly accounting for dynamic incentives to invest in improving the Quality of Service offered to each content provider. We provide a ranking Quality of Service and network operator profits across regimes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 11-09.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics, 44 West 4th Street, New York, NY 10012-1126
Phone: (212) 998-0860
Fax: (212) 995-4218
Web page: http://w4.stern.nyu.edu/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Nicholas Economides & Joacim Tåg, 2011. "Network Neutrality and Network Management Regulation: Quality of Service, Price Discrimination, and Exclusive Contracts," Working Papers 11-02, NET Institute.
- Economides, Nicholas & Tåg, Joacim, 2011. "Network Neutrality and Network Management Regulation: Quality of Service, Price Discrimination, and Exclusive Contracts," Working Paper Series 890, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
- D40 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - General
- L12 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Monopoly; Monopolization Strategies
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- C63 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computational Techniques
- D42 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Monopoly
- D - Microeconomics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2012-02-27 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-NET-2012-02-27 (Network Economics)
- NEP-REG-2012-02-27 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krämer, Jan & Wiewiorra, Lukas, 2009. "Innovation through Discrimination!? A Formal Analysis of the Net Neutrality Debate," MPRA Paper 16655, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jay Pil Choi & Byung-Cheol Kim, 2008.
"Net Neutrality and Investment Incentives,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2390, CESifo Group Munich.
- M. Keith Chen & Barry J. Nalebuff, 2006.
"One-Way Essential Complements,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1588, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Christiaan Hogendorn, 2006.
"Broadband Internet: Net Neutrality versus Open Access,"
2006-09, Center for Network Industries and Infrastructure (CNI).
- Christiaan Hogendorn, 2007. "Broadband Internet: net neutrality versus open access," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 185-208, August.
- Hermalin, Benjamin E. & Katz, Michael, 2007.
"The Economics of Product-Line Restrictions With an Application to the Network Neutrality Debate,"
- Hermalin, Benjamin E. & Katz, Michael L., 2007. "The economics of product-line restrictions with an application to the network neutrality debate," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 215-248, June.
- Hermalin, Benjamin E & Katz, Michael L, 2006. "The Economics of Product-Line Restrictions With an Application to the Network Neutrality Debate," Competition Policy Center, Working Paper Series qt81r3b7xs, Competition Policy Center, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Viveca Licata).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.