Immigration and Swiss House Prices
AbstractThis study examines the behavior of Swiss house prices to immigration flows for 85 districts from 2001 to 2006. The results show that the nexus between immigration and house prices holds even in an environment of low house price inflation, nationwide rent control, and modest immigration flows. An immigration inflow equal to 1% of an area's population is coincident with an increase in prices for single-family homes of about 2.7%: a result consistent with previous studies. The overall immigration effect for single-family houses captures almost two-thirds of the total price increase.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Swiss National Bank in its series Working Papers with number 2010-16.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Börsenstrasse 15, P. O. Box, CH - 8022 Zürich
Phone: +41 44 631 31 11
Fax: +41 44 631 39 11
Web page: http://www.snb.ch/en/ifor/research/
More information through EDIRC
Immigration; Housing Prices;
Other versions of this item:
- F22 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Migration
- J61 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Geographic Labor Mobility; Immigrant Workers
- R21 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Housing Demand
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Albert Saiz, 2003.
"Immigration and housing rents in American cities,"
03-12, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Libertad Gonzalez & Francesc Ortega, 2009.
"Immigration and Housing Booms: Evidence from Spain,"
CReAM Discussion Paper Series
0919, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Libertad Gonzalez & Francesc Ortega, 2013. "Immigration And Housing Booms: Evidence From Spain," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(1), pages 37-59, 02.
- Libertad González Luna & Francesc Ortega, 2009. "Immigration and housing booms: Evidence from Spain," Economics Working Papers 1167, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Gonzalez, Libertad & Ortega, Francesc, 2009. "Immigration and Housing Booms: Evidence from Spain," IZA Discussion Papers 4333, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Greulich, Erica & Quigley, John M. & Raphael, Steven, 2005. "The Anatomy of Rent Burdens: Immigration, Growth and Rental Housing," Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series qt63t3t356, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- Albert Saiz, 2003. "Room in the Kitchen for the Melting Pot: Immigration and Rental Prices," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 502-521, August.
- Abdurrahman Aydemir & George J. Borjas, 2011.
"Attenuation Bias in Measuring the Wage Impact of Immigration,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(1), pages 69-113, 01.
- Abdurrahman Aydemir & George J. Borjas, 2010. "Attenuation Bias in Measuring the Wage Impact of Immigration," NBER Working Papers 16229, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven Stillman & David C. Maré, 2008. "Housing Markets and Migration: Evidence from New Zealand," Working Papers 08_06, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research.
- Andreas M. Fischer, 2009. "European hoarding: currency use among immigrants in Switzerland," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 35, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Tommaso Frattini, 2012. "Immigrazione," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, issue 3, pages 363-407, July-Sept.
- repec:ner:leuven:urn:hdl:123456789/120539 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sa, Filipa, 2011. "Immigration and House Prices in the UK," IZA Discussion Papers 5893, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Fischer, Andreas M., 2012.
"Immigrant language barriers and house prices,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 389-395.
- Andreas M. Fischer, 2011. "Immigrant language barriers and house prices," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 97, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Karol Jan BOROWIECKI, 2011.
"Dynamics of a Protected Housing Market: The Case of Switzerland,"
Trinity Economics Papers
tep1011, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics, revised Oct 2011.
- Karol Jan Borowiecki, 2012. "Dynamics of a Protected Housing Market: The Case of Switzerland," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 49(14), pages 3195-3210, November.
- Nathan, Max, 2013. "The Wider Economic Impacts of High-Skilled Migrants: A Survey of the Literature," IZA Discussion Papers 7653, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Nicole Aregger & Martin Brown & Enzo Rossi, 2013. "Transaction Taxes, Capital Gains Taxes and House Prices," Working Papers 2013-02, Swiss National Bank.
- Nicodemo, Catia & Raya, Josep Maria, 2012.
"Change in the distribution of house prices across Spanish cities,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 739-748.
- Nicodemo, Catia & Raya, Josep M., 2012. "Change in the Distribution of House Prices across Spanish Cities," IZA Discussion Papers 6503, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Karolien De Bruyne & Jan Van Hove, 2013. "Explaining the spatial variation in housing prices: an economic geography approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(13), pages 1673-1689, May.
- Dan Andrews, 2010. "Real House Prices in OECD Countries: The Role of Demand Shocks and Structural and Policy Factors," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 831, OECD Publishing.
- repec:ner:leuven:urn:hdl:123456789/329755 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Enzo Rossi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.