Cost Pass Through in a Competitive Model of Pricing-to-Market
AbstractThis paper builds up an extension to the Mussa and Rosen (1978) model of quality pricing under perfect competition. Our model incorporates decreasing returns to scale. First, we predict that exchange rate shocks are imperfectly passed through into prices. Second, prices of low quality goods are more sensitive to exchange rate shocks than prices of high quality goods. Third, in response to an exchange rate appreciation, the composition of exports shifts towards higher quality and more expensive goods. We test those predictions using highly disaggregated price and quantity US import data. We find that the prices of high quality goods, proxied as high unit price goods, are more sensitive to exchange rate movements. Moreover, we find evidence that in response to an exchange rate appreciation, the composition of exports shifts towards high unit price goods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Swiss National Bank in its series Working Papers with number 2008-06.
Length: 42 pages
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Börsenstrasse 15, P. O. Box, CH - 8022 Zürich
Phone: +41 44 631 31 11
Fax: +41 44 631 39 11
Web page: http://www.snb.ch/en/ifor/research/
More information through EDIRC
Pricing-to-Market; Exchange Rate Pass Through; Local Distribution;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F11 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Neoclassical Models of Trade
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Luca Dedola & Sylvain Leduc, 2005.
"DSGE models of high exchange-rate volatility and low pass-through,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
845, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Luca Dedola & Sylvain Leduc, 2005. "DSGE Models of High Exchange-Rate Volatility and Low Pass-Through," Economics Working Papers ECO2005/23, European University Institute.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Dedola, Luca & Leduc, Sylvain, 2005. "DSGE Models of High Exchange-Rate Volatility and Low Pass-Through," CEPR Discussion Papers 5377, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Xavier Gabaix & Augustin Landier, 2006.
"Why Has CEO Pay Increased So Much?,"
2006 Meeting Papers
518, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Betts, Caroline & Devereux, Michael B., 1996. "The exchange rate in a model of pricing-to-market," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 1007-1021, April.
- Gust, Christopher & Leduc, Sylvain & Vigfusson, Robert, 2010.
"Trade integration, competition, and the decline in exchange-rate pass-through,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 309-324, April.
- Christopher Gust & Sylvain Leduc & Robert Vigfusson, 2006. "Trade Integration, Competiton, and the Decline in Exchange-rate Pass-through," 2006 Meeting Papers 165, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Christopher Gust & Sylvain Leduc & Robert J. Vigfusson, 2006. "Trade integration, competition, and the decline in exchange-rate pass-through," International Finance Discussion Papers 864, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Isaac Kleshchelski & Nicolas Vincent, 2007.
"Market Share and Price Rigidity,"
Cahiers de recherche
08-01, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
- Gita Gopinath & Oleg Itskhoki & Roberto Rigobon, 2007.
"Currency Choice and Exchange Rate Pass-through,"
NBER Working Papers
13432, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sven W. Arndt & J. David Richardson, 1987. "Real-Financial Linkages Among Open Economies," NBER Working Papers 2230, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nocke, Volker & Yeaple, Stephen, 2007. "Cross-border mergers and acquisitions vs. greenfield foreign direct investment: The role of firm heterogeneity," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 336-365, July.
- Roberto Basile & Sergio de Nardis & Alessandro Girardi, 2012. "Pricing to market, firm heterogeneity and the role of quality," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 148(4), pages 595-615, December.
- Roberto Basile & Sergio de Nardis & Alessandro Girardi, 2009. "Pricing to market when quality matters," ISAE Working Papers 123, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Enzo Rossi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.