Gender wage discrimination in Mexico: A distributional approach
AbstractThis paper examines the observed wage differentials by gender in Mexico over the last two decades (1984 to 2002). To estimate and understand the wage gap the paper uses a nonparametric-distributional approach, and compares the results with the other parametric approaches. The paper finds evidence of labour market discrimination against women. The average discrimination in the first decade fell considerably, but then started to increase again. The distribution of discrimination also changed over time. The average fall in discrimination over time has resulted largely from a fall in the estimated discrimination at the lower tail of the wage distribution, with little to no change at the upper tail.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The University of Sheffield, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2008006.
Length: 35 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2008
Date of revision: Apr 2008
gender wage gap; nonparametric-distributions; Mexico;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J16 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of Gender; Non-labor Discrimination
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- O15 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-08-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2008-08-31 (Development)
- NEP-LAB-2008-08-31 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barsky R. & Bound J. & Charles K.K. & Lupton J.P., 2002.
"Accounting for the Black-White Wealth Gap: A Nonparametric Approach,"
Journal of the American Statistical Association,
American Statistical Association, vol. 97, pages 663-673, September.
- Robert Barsky & John Bound & Kerwin Charles & Joseph Lupton, 2001. "Accounting for the Black-White Wealth Gap: A Nonparametric Approach," NBER Working Papers 8466, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cynthia J. Brown & Jose A. Pagan & Eduardo Rodrφguez Oreggia y Roman, 1999. "Occupational attainment and gender earnings differentials in Mexico," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 53(1), pages 123-135, October.
- John DiNardo & Nicole M. Fortin & Thomas Lemieux, 1995.
"Labor Market Institutions and the Distribution of Wages, 1973-1992: A Semiparametric Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
5093, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- DiNardo, John & Fortin, Nicole M & Lemieux, Thomas, 1996. "Labor Market Institutions and the Distribution of Wages, 1973-1992: A Semiparametric Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(5), pages 1001-44, September.
- Dinardo, J. & Fortin, N.M. & Lemieux, T., 1994. "Labor Market Institutions and the Distribution of Wages, 1973-1992: a Semiparametric Approach," Cahiers de recherche 9406, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Dinardo, J. & Fortin, N.M. & Lemieux, T., 1994. "Labor Market Institutions and the Distribution of Wages, 1973-1992: A Semiparametric Approach," Cahiers de recherche 9406, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Nidardo, J. & Fortin, N. & Lemieux, T., 1994. "Labor Market Institutions and the Distribution of Wages, 1973-1992: A Semiparametric Approach," Papers 93-94-15, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- Blau, Francine D. & Kahn, Lawrence M., 2006.
"The U.S. Gender Pay Gap in the 1990s: Slowing Convergence,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2176, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Francine D. Blau & Lawrence M. Kahn, 2006. "The U.S. gender pay gap in the 1990s: slowing convergence," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 60(1), pages 45-66, October.
- Francine Blau & Lawrence M. Kahn, 2006. "The US Gender Pay Gap in the 1990s: Slowing Convergence," Working Papers 887, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Francine D. Blau & Lawrence M. Kahn, 2004. "The US Gender Pay Gap in the 1990s: Slowing Convergence," NBER Working Papers 10853, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Oaxaca, Ronald, 1973. "Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(3), pages 693-709, October.
- Alan S. Blinder, 1973. "Wage Discrimination: Reduced Form and Structural Estimates," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 8(4), pages 436-455.
- Ernesto Aguayo-Tellez & Jim Airola & Chinhui Juhn, 2010. "Did Trade Liberalization Help Women? The Case of Mexico in the 1990s," NBER Working Papers 16195, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Neumark, 1987.
"Employers' discriminatory behavior and the estimation of wage discrimination,"
Special Studies Papers
227, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- David Neumark, 1988. "Employers' Discriminatory Behavior and the Estimation of Wage Discrimination," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 23(3), pages 279-295.
- Jenkins, Stephen P., 1994. "Earnings discrimination measurement : A distributional approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 81-102, March.
- Javier Gardeazabal & Arantza Ugidos, 2005. "Gender wage discrimination at quantiles," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 165-179, 07.
- Wood, Robert G & Corcoran, Mary E & Courant, Paul N, 1993. "Pay Differences among the Highly Paid: The Male-Female Earnings Gap in Lawyers' Salaries," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 11(3), pages 417-41, July.
- Nora Lustig, 2001. "Life Is Not Easy: Mexico's Quest for Stability and Growth," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(1), pages 85-106, Winter.
- Robert Breunig & Sandrine Rospabe, 2007.
"Parametric vs. Semi-parametric Estimation of the Male-Female Wage Gap: An Application to France,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
548, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Robert Breunig & Sandrine Rospabe, 2005. "Parametric vs. semi-parametric estimation of the male-female wage gap: An application to France," ANU Working Papers in Economics and Econometrics 2005-458, Australian National University, College of Business and Economics, School of Economics.
- Pagan, Jose A & Sanchez, Susana M, 2000. "Gender Differences in Labor Market Decisions: Evidence from Rural Mexico," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 48(3), pages 619-37, April.
- José A. Pagán & Miren Ullibarri, 2000. "Group Heterogeneity and the Gender Earnings Gap in Mexico," Economia Mexicana NUEVA EPOCA, , vol. 0(1), pages 23-40, January-J.
- Blau, Francine D & Ferber, Marianne A, 1987. "Discrimination: Empirical Evidence from the United States," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(2), pages 316-20, May.
- Eva Olimpia Arceo Gómez & Raymundo Campos-Vázquez, 2013.
"Evolución de la Brecha Salarial de Género en México,"
DTE 556, CIDE, División de Economía.
- Raymundo M. Campos-Vazquez & Eva O. Arceo-Gomez, 2013. "Evolución de la brecha salarial de género en México," Serie documentos de trabajo del Centro de Estudios EconÃ³micos 2013-07, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos.
- Juan Pablo Atal & Hugo R. Ñopo & Natalia Winder, 2009.
"New Century, Old Disparities: Gender and Ethnic Wage Gaps in Latin America,"
5398, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Nopo, Hugo & Atal, Juan Pablo & Winder, Natalia, 2010. "New Century, Old Disparities: Gender and Ethnic Wage Gaps in Latin America," IZA Discussion Papers 5085, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Juan Pablo Atal & Hugo Nopo & Natalia Winder, 2009. "New Century, Old Disparities: Gender and Ethnic Wage Gaps in Latin America," Research Department Publications 4640, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Georgios Efthyvoulou).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.