Manufactured Exports and FDI in the MED-11 Countries: Recent Evolution, Determinants and Prospects
AbstractThis paper investigates the evolution and determinants of manufactured exports and FDI in MED-11 countries over the period 1985-2009 as well as the prospects of their evolution under different scenarios pertaining to the evolution of the determinants. The econometric analysis confirmed the role of exchange rate depreciation, the openness of the economy and the quality of institution and infrastructure in fostering manufactured exports and FDI inflows in the Region. The prospects’ assessment suggested that a scenario of deeper integration with the EU entails superior performance regarding manufactured exports and FDI than status quo or less integration with the EU but greater regional integration.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research in its series CASE Network Studies and Analyses with number 432.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Manufactured Exports; FDI; Institutions; MENA;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- O43 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Institutions and Growth
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-ARA-2012-02-27 (MENA - Middle East & North Africa)
- NEP-CWA-2012-02-27 (Central & Western Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lahcen Achy & Khalid Sekkat, 2003. "The European single currency and MENA's exports to Europe," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/7352, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Méon, Pierre-Guillaume & Sekkat, Khalid, 2012.
"FDI Waves, Waves of Neglect of Political Risk,"
Elsevier, vol. 40(11), pages 2194-2205.
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Khalid Sekkat, 2012. "FDI Waves, Waves of Neglect of Political Risk," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/132815, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Khalid Sekkat, 2010. "FDI waves, waves of neglect of political risk," Working Papers CEB 10-004.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Khalid Sekkat & Aristomene Varoudakis, 2000.
"Exchange rate management and manufactured exports in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/7342, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Sekkat, Khalid & Varoudakis, Aristomene, 2000. "Exchange rate management and manufactured exports in Sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 237-253, February.
- Khalid Sekkat & Aristomène Varoudakis, 1998. "Exchange-Rate Management and Manufactured Exports in Sub-Saharan Africa," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 134, OECD Publishing.
- Lahcen Achy & Khalid Sekkat, 2003. "The European Single Currency and MENA's Exports to Europe," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(4), pages 563-582, November.
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Khalid Sekkat, 2004. "Does the Quality of Institutions Limit the MENA's Integration in the World Economy?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(9), pages 1475-1498, 09.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Katarzyna SidÅ‚o).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.