Openness, investment climate and FDI in Developing countries
AbstractThe paper assesses the importance of openness, infrastructure availability, and sound economic and political conditions in increasing developing countries' attractiveness with respect to FDI. The results show that these factors are particularly important for South Asia, Africa, and the Middle East. The paper also shows a higher impact of these factors on FDI in the manufacturing sector than on total FDI. The message to developing countries' policymakers is twofold. First, efforts towards openness should be initiated or further increased in order to make their economies attractive to foreign investors. Second, improvements in other aspects of the investment climate are important complements to openness and result in additional and sensitive increases in FDI inflows. Copyright ï¿½ 2007 The Authors; Journal compilation ï¿½ 2007 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles in its series ULB Institutional Repository with number 2013/7370.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in: Review of Development Economics (2007) v.11 n° 4,p.607-620
Other versions of this item:
- Khalid Sekkat & Marie-Ange Veganzones-Varoudakis, 2007. "Openness, Investment Climate, and FDI in Developing Countries," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(4), pages 607-620, November.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dalila NICET-CHENAF (GREThA UMR CNRS 5113) & Eric ROUGIER (GREThA UMR CNRS 5113), 2009. "FDI and growth: A new look at a still puzzling issue," Cahiers du GREThA 2009-13, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Sekkat, Khalid, 2010. "Arab Economic Integration: Missing links," CEPR Discussion Papers 7807, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nikolaos Antonakakis & Gabriele Tondl, 2011.
"Do determinants of FDI to developing countries differ among OECD investors? Insights from Bayesian Model Averaging,"
FIW Working Paper series
- Antonakakis, Nikolaos & Tondl, Gabriele, 2012. "Do determinants of FDI to developing countries differ among OECD investors? Insights from Bayesian model averaging," Discussion Papers 1/12, Europa-Kolleg Hamburg, Institute for European Integration.
- John Anyanwu, 2011. "Working Paper 136 - Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment Inflows to Africa, 1980-2007," Working Paper Series 327, African Development Bank.
- Marie-Ange VEGANZONES-VAROUDAKIS & Patrick PLANE & Tidiane KINDA, 2011.
"Firm Productivity and Investment Climate in Developing Countries: How Does Middle East and North Africa Manufacturing Perform?,"
- Tidiane Kinda & Patrick Plane & Marie‐Ange Véganzonès‐Varoudakis, 2011. "Firm Productivity And Investment Climate In Developing Countries: How Does Middle East And North Africa Manufacturing Perform?," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 49(4), pages 429-462, December.
- Patrick Plane & Marie-Ange Veganzones & Tidiane Kinda, 2011. "Firm Productivity and Investment Climate in Developing Countries: How Does Middle East and North Africa Manufacturing Perform?," Working Papers halshs-00617574, HAL.
- Patrick Plane & Marie-Ange Veganzones & Tidiane Kinda, 2011. "Firm Productivity and Investment Climate in Developing Countries: How Does Middle East and North Africa Manufacturing Perform?," Working Papers halshs-00617575, HAL.
- Kinda, Tidiane & Plane, Patrick & Veganzones-Varoudakis, Marie-Ange, 2009. "Firms'productive performance and the investment climate in developing economies : an application to MENA manufacturing," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4869, The World Bank.
- Sekkat, Khalid, 2012. "Manufactured Exports and FDI in Southern Mediterranean Countries: Evolution, determinants and prospects," CEPS Papers 6849, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- John C. Anyanwu, 2012. "Why Does Foreign Direct Investment Go Where It Goes?: New Evidence From African Countries," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 13(2), pages 425-462, November.
- Muhammad Tariq Majeed & Eatzaz Ahmad, 2009. "An Analysis of Host Country Characteristics that Determine FDI in Developing Countries: Recent Panel Data Evidence," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 14(2), pages 71-96, Jul-Dec.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.