The Growing Rural -Urban Disparity: Some Issues
AbstractThe paper critically examines the understanding, approach and indicators that have been used to measure the degree of disparity. It is true that disparity exists everywhere. However, this paper focuses on disparities existing between rural and urban areas. In this context, the paper talks about ‘why’ and ‘how’ disparities exist between rural and urban areas. The study suggests that ‘income’ is not a sufficient indicator to capture the magnitude of disparities at any level. It is, therefore, necessary to develop some other indicators representing human resource development and infrastructure facility to understand the growing rural-urban divide.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore in its series Working Papers with number 156.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Knight, John & Song, Lina, 1999. "The Rural-Urban Divide: Economic Disparities and Interactions in China," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198293309.
- Scarlett Epstein, T. & Jezeph, David, 2001. "Development--There is Another Way: A Rural-Urban Partnership Development Paradigm," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(8), pages 1443-1454, August.
- Krugman, Paul & Elizondo, Raul Livas, 1996.
"Trade policy and the Third World metropolis,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 137-150, April.
- S. Mahendra Dev, 1988. "Regional Disparities in Agricultural Labour Productivity and Rural Poverty in India," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 23(2), pages 167-205, July.
- K N M Raju & P H Rayappa & M Sivakami, 2004. "Normative and Actual Provision of Antenatal Health Care Services in Karnataka," Working Papers 145, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore.
- Mathur, Ashok, 1983. "Regional Development and Income Disparities in India: A Sectoral Analysis," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 31(3), pages 475-505, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (B B Chand).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.