Household income, family composition and human capital in Southern Italy
AbstractIn this paper I analyse the reasons for the low rate of growth of averagelevel of education in the South of Italy from the labour supply side point of view. In particular I try to develop a theoretical and empirical model based on the hypothesis that the lower income of southern families (compared to those of the Centre and the North), along with the different fertility levels and composition of the families at regional level, have a strong effect on the choice on whether or not to continue studying at university level for the individuals living in different areas of the country.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Rome La Sapienza, Department of Public Economics in its series Working Papers with number 78.
Date of creation: May 2005
Date of revision:
family structure; fertility; tertiary education.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J12 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Marriage; Marital Dissolution; Family Structure
- J13 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Fertility; Family Planning; Child Care; Children; Youth
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Emanuela Ghignoni, 2002. "Istruzione e condizioni monetarie e non monetarie di lavoro nel Mezzogiorno," QUADERNI DI ECONOMIA DEL LAVORO, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2002(74).
- Luigi Frey & Emanuela Ghignoni, 2000. "Dinamica demografica, trasformazioni del sistema formativo e capitale umano, con particolare riguardo all'Italia," QUADERNI DI ECONOMIA DEL LAVORO, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2000(67).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luisa Giuriato).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.