Can regulation increase firm's efficiency?
AbstractThis paper examines the possibility that regulation actually increases a monopolistâ€™s cost-efficiency. When the firmâ€™s cost-reducing effort depends on the output supplied, a binding price-cap, by compelling the monopolist to produce more, finally results in lower costs. On the basis of a two-period asymmetric information model with a repeated choice of effort, the paper demonstrates that regulation increases efficiency when the elasticity of demand is sufficiently low, even assuming very conservative preferences and a very poor information set for the regulator. Moreover, contrary to previous findings and conventional wisdom, we find that a periodical rate base review exerts also a positive effect on future cost-reducing effort countervailing the well known ratchet effect.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Rome La Sapienza, Department of Public Economics in its series Working Papers with number 60.
Date of creation: Feb 2002
Date of revision:
Price-cap; regulatory lag.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
- D42 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Monopoly
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paolo Bertoletti, 2002. "Why Regulate Prices? Some Notes on the Price Cap Methods," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 92(2), pages 13-30, March-Apr.
- Mark Armstrong & Simon Cowan & John Vickers, 1994. "Regulatory Reform: Economic Analysis and British Experience," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262510790, January.
- Bradley, Ian & Price, Catherine, 1988. "The Economic Regulation of Private Industries by Price Constraints," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(1), pages 99-106, September.
- Crew, Michael A & Kleindorfer, Paul R, 2002. "Regulatory Economics: Twenty Years of Progress?," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 5-22, January.
- Claudio De Vincenti, 2002. "Non solo energia e telecomunicazioni: i problemi della transizione avviata nella regolazione delle altre utilities," ECONOMIA PUBBLICA, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2002(4).
- Armstrong, Mark & Vickers, John, 2000. "Multiproduct Price Regulation under Asymmetric Information," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(2), pages 137-60, June.
- Gindin, Sam, 1970. " A Model of the Soviet Firm," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 145-57.
- Vogelsang, Ingo, 1997. "Introduction," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 97-102, June.
- Boitani Andrea & Cambini Carlo, 2002. "Regolazione incentivante per i servizi di trasporto locale," Politica economica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 193-226.
- Armstrong, Mark & Sappington, David E.M., 2007. "Recent Developments in the Theory of Regulation," Handbook of Industrial Organization, Elsevier.
- Laura Cavallo & Giuseppe Coco, 2002. "La remunerazione del capitale investito nelle imprese soggette a regolazione," ECONOMIA PUBBLICA, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2002(4).
- Sappington, David E M & Sibley, David S, 1988. "Regulating without Cost Information: The Incremental Surplus Subsidy Scheme," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 29(2), pages 297-306, May.
- Cowan, Simon, 1997. "Price-Cap Regulation and Inefficiency in Relative Pricing," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 53-70, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luisa Giuriato).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.