Approximation Results for Discontinuous Games with an Application to Equilibrium Refinement
AbstractWe provide approximation results for Nash equilibria in possibly discontinuous games when payoffs and strategy sets are perturbed, and compare these conditions to those considered in the related literature. We then prove existence results for a new "finitistic" infinite-game generalization of Selten's  notion of perfection, and study some of its properties. The existence results, which rely on the approximation theorems, relate existing notions of perfection to the new specification.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Rutgers University, Department of Economics in its series Departmental Working Papers with number 201128.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: 16 Aug 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: New Jersey Hall - 75 Hamilton Street, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1248
Phone: (732) 932-7482
Fax: (732) 932-7416
Web page: http://snde.rutgers.edu/Rutgers/wp/rutgers-wplist.html
More information through EDIRC
discontinuous game; Nash equilibrium correspondence; payoff security; trembling-hand perfect equilibrium; limit-of-finite perfect equilibrium;
Other versions of this item:
- Oriol Carbonell-Nicolau & Richard McLean, 2013. "Approximation results for discontinuous games with an application to equilibrium refinement," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 54(1), pages 1-26, September.
- Oriol Carbonell-Nicolau & Richard McLean, 2012. "Approximation Results for Discontinuous Games with an Application to Equilibrium Refinement," Departmental Working Papers 201206, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-12-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-GTH-2011-12-13 (Game Theory)
- NEP-MIC-2011-12-13 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carbonell-Nicolau, Oriol, 2011. "On the existence of pure-strategy perfect equilibrium in discontinuous games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 23-48, January.
- Carmona, Guilherme, 2008.
"An Existence Result for Discontinuous Games,"
FEUNL Working Paper Series
wp530, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- Oriol Carbonell-Nicolau, 2011. "The Existence of Perfect Equilibrium in Discontinuous Games," Games, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 2(3), pages 235-256, July.
- Oriol Carbonell-Nicolau & Richard McLean, 2012. "On Equilibrium Refinement in Supermodular Games," Departmental Working Papers 201207, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Carbonell-Nicolau, Oriol, 2011. "Perfect and limit admissible perfect equilibria in discontinuous games," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(4-5), pages 531-540.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.