Variational convergence: Approximation and existence of equilibria in discontinuous games
AbstractWe introduce a notion of variational convergence for sequences of games and we show that the Nash equilibrium map is upper semi-continuous with respect to variationally converging sequences. We then show that for a game G with discontinuous payoff, some of the most important existence results of Dasgupta and Maskin, Simon, and Reny are based on constructing approximating sequences of games that variationally converge to G. In fact, this notion of convergence will help simplify these results and make their proofs more transparent. Finally, we use our notion of convergence to establish the existence of a Nash equilibrium for Bertrand-Edgeworth games with very general forms of tie-breaking and residual demand rules.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 145 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622869
Convergence of games Discontinuous games Equilibrium map Bertrand-Edgeworth games;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Osborne, Martin J. & Pitchik, Carolyn, 1986.
"Price competition in a capacity-constrained duopoly,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 238-260, April.
- Osborne, Martin J. & Pitchik, Carolyn, 1983. "Price Competition in a Capacity-Constrained Duopoly," Working Papers 83-08, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Walker, Mark, 1979. "A Generalization of the Maximum Theorem," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 20(1), pages 267-72, February.
- HILDENBRAND, Werner & MERTENS, Jean-François, .
"Upper hemi-continuity of the equilibrium set correspondence for pure exchange economies,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-109, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Hildenbrand, W & Mertens, J F, 1972. "Upper Hemi-Continuity of the Equilibrium-Set Correspondence for Pure Exchange Economies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(1), pages 99-108, January.
- Drew Fudenberg & David Levine, 1983.
"Limit Games and Limit Equilibria,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
289, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Philip J. Reny, 1999. "On the Existence of Pure and Mixed Strategy Nash Equilibria in Discontinuous Games," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(5), pages 1029-1056, September.
- Carmona, Guilherme, 2008.
"An Existence Result for Discontinuous Games,"
FEUNL Working Paper Series
wp530, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- Green, Edward J., 1982.
"Continuum and Finite-Player Noncooperative Models of Competition,"
418, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Green, Edward J, 1984. "Continuum and Finite-Player Noncooperative Models of Competition," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(4), pages 975-93, July.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Maskin, Eric, 1986. "The Existence of Equilibrium in Discontinuous Economic Games, I: Theory," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(1), pages 1-26, January.
- Simon, Leo K, 1987. "Games with Discontinuous Payoffs," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(4), pages 569-97, October.
- Carlos Alós-Ferrer, 2006. "The Discretization Of Continuum Strategy Spaces," International Game Theory Review (IGTR), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 8(03), pages 499-514.
- Maskin, Eric, 1986. "The Existence of Equilibrium with Price-Setting Firms," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 382-86, May.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Maskin, Eric, 1986. "The Existence of Equilibrium in Discontinuous Economic Games, II: Applications," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(1), pages 27-41, January.
- Oriol Carbonell-Nicolau & Richard McLean, 2013.
"Approximation results for discontinuous games with an application to equilibrium refinement,"
Springer, vol. 54(1), pages 1-26, September.
- Oriol Carbonell-Nicolau & Richard McLean, 2012. "Approximation Results for Discontinuous Games with an Application to Equilibrium Refinement," Departmental Working Papers 201206, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Oriol Carbonell-Nicolau & Richard McLean, 2011. "Approximation Results for Discontinuous Games with an Application to Equilibrium Refinement," Departmental Working Papers 201128, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Holmberg, Pär & Newbery, David & Ralph, Daniel, 2013.
"Supply function equilibria: Step functions and continuous representations,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 148(4), pages 1509-1551.
- Holmberg, P. & Newbery, D & Ralph, D., 2008. "Supply Function Equilibria: Step Functions and Continuous Representations," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0863, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Holmberg, Pär & Newbery, David & Ralph, Daniel, 2009. "Supply Function Equilibria: Step Functions and Continuous Representations," Working Paper Series 788, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Tasnádi, Attila, 2012. "Endogenous Timing of Moves in Bertrand-Edgeworth Triopolies," MPRA Paper 47610, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pavlo Prokopovych & Nicholas C. Yannelis, 2012. "On Uniform Conditions for the Existence of Mixed Strategy Equilibria," Discussion Papers 48, Kyiv School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.