A Note on Decomposing Differences in Poverty Incidence Using Regression Estimates: Algorithm and Example
AbstractThis paper decomposes differences in poverty incidence (head count ratio) using estimates from a regression equation, synthesizing the approaches proposed in World Bank (2003) and Yun (2004). A significance test is developed for characteristics and coefficients effects when decomposing differences in poverty incidence. The proposed method is implemented for studying differences in poverty incidence between Serbians and Albanians in Kosovo using Living Standard Measurement Survey.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Rutgers University, Department of Economics in its series Departmental Working Papers with number 200633.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: 01 Dec 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: New Jersey Hall - 75 Hamilton Street, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1248
Phone: (732) 932-7482
Fax: (732) 932-7416
Web page: http://snde.rutgers.edu/Rutgers/wp/rutgers-wplist.html
More information through EDIRC
poverty incidence; decomposition; headcount; probit;
Other versions of this item:
- Bhaumik, Sumon K. & Gang, Ira N. & Yun, Myeong-Su, 2006. "A Note on Decomposing Differences in Poverty Incidence Using Regression Estimates: Algorithm and Example," IZA Discussion Papers 2262, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- C20 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - General
- I30 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-03-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2007-03-10 (Development)
- NEP-ECM-2007-03-10 (Econometrics)
- NEP-LTV-2007-03-10 (Unemployment, Inequality & Poverty)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bhaumik, Sumon Kumar & Gang, Ira N. & Yun, Myeong-Su, 2006.
"Ethnic conflict and economic disparity: Serbians and Albanians in Kosovo,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 754-773, December.
- Sumon Kumar Bhaumik & Ira N. Gang & Myeong-Su Yun, 2006. "Ethnic Conflict and Economic Disparity: Serbians and Albanians in Kosovo," Departmental Working Papers 200636, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Bhaumik, Sumon K. & Gang, Ira N. & Yun, Myeong-Su, 2005. "Ethnic Conflict and Economic Disparity: Serbians and Albanians in Kosovo," IZA Discussion Papers 1772, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- William E. Even & David A. Macpherson, 1993. "The Decline of Private-Sector Unionism and the Gender Wage Gap," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 28(2), pages 279-296.
- John Ham & Jan Svejnar & Katherine Terrell, 1998.
"Unemployment and the Social Safety Net During Transitions to a Market Economy: Evidence from the Czech and Slovak Republic,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
169, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Ham, John C & Svejnar, Jan & Terrell, Katherine, 1998. "Unemployment and the Social Safety Net during Transitions to a Market Economy: Evidence from the Czech and Slovak Republics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(5), pages 1117-42, December.
- Even, William E. & Macpherson, David A., 1990. "Plant size and the decline of unionism," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 393-398, April.
- Yun, Myeong-Su, 2003.
"Decomposing Differences in the First Moment,"
IZA Discussion Papers
877, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Oaxaca, Ronald, 1973. "Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(3), pages 693-709, October.
- Denise J. Doiron & W. Craig Riddell, 1994. "The Impact of Unionization on Male-Female Earnings Differences in Canada," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 29(2), pages 504-534.
- repec:pri:indrel:396 is not listed on IDEAS
- Abowd, John M & Killingsworth, Mark R, 1984. "Do Minority-White Unemployment Differences Really Exist?," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 2(1), pages 64-72, January.
- Essama-Nssah, B., 2012. "Identification of sources of variation in poverty outcomes," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5954, The World Bank.
- Gradín, Carlos, 2007.
"Why Is Poverty So High Among Afro-Brazilians? A Decomposition Analysis of the Racial Poverty Gap,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2809, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Carlos Gradin, 2009. "Why is Poverty So High Among Afro-Brazilians? A Decomposition Analysis of the Racial Poverty Gap," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(9), pages 1426-1452.
- Carlos Gradín, 2012.
"Poverty among minorities in the United States: explaining the racial poverty gap for Blacks and Latinos,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(29), pages 3793-3804, October.
- Carlos Gradin, 2008. "Poverty among minorities in the United States: Explaining the racial poverty gap for Blacks and Latinos," Working Papers 96, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Luis Ayala & Antonio Jurado & JesÃºs PÃ©rez-Mayo, 2009.
"Income Poverty and Multidimensional Deprivation: Lessons from Cross-Regional Analysis,"
106, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Luis Ayala & Antonio Jurado & Jesús Pérez‐Mayo, 2011. "Income Poverty And Multidimensional Deprivation: Lessons From Cross‐Regional Analysis," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 57(1), pages 40-60, 03.
- Somnath Chattopadhyay, 2011. "Inter-regional Poverty Comparisons: Case of West Bengal," Journal of Quantitative Economics, The Indian Econometric Society, vol. 9(2), pages 104-122, July.
- Rafael Muñoz de Bustillo & José-Ignacio Antón, 2011.
"From Rags to Riches? Immigration and Poverty in Spain,"
Population Research and Policy Review,
Springer, vol. 30(5), pages 661-676, October.
- Muñoz de Bustillo, Rafael & Antón, José-Ignacio, 2009. "From rags to riches? Immigration and poverty in Spain," MPRA Paper 13848, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Timm Bönke & Carsten Schröder, 2011.
"Poverty in Germany – Statistical Inference and Decomposition,"
Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik),
Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 231(2), pages 178-209, April.
- Timm Bönke & Carsten Schröder, 2010. "Poverty in Germany: Statistical Inference and Decomposition," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1060, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.