Synergies and conflicts between EU policies and the objective of territorial cohesion
AbstractThe paper looks at the overall structure of the European Union’s regional, agricultural and rural development policies in order to assess their coordination and synergies at the territorial level and their degree of compatibility with the objective of territorial cohesion. The regression analysis - covering the 20-year period 1994-2013, and approximately 90% of total Community expenditure - reveals that the compatibility of the various areas of Community policy in terms of the objectives of territorial cohesion has not progressed in a linear fashion over time. Shifting resources in the Community budget from one policy area to another does not, by itself, appear capable of guaranteeing virtuous paths in terms of territorial cohesion. The increase in the territorial ‘vocation’ of overall Community spending will, therefore, crucially depend upon the definition of appropriate allocative mechanisms and interventions, based upon the characteristics of each region and its ‘local’ needs
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics - University Roma Tre in its series Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' with number 0132.
Date of creation: Jul 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Via Silvio d'Amico 77, - 00145 Rome Italy
Phone: +39 06 57114612
Fax: +39 06 57114771
Web page: http://host.uniroma3.it/dipartimenti/economia/it/
More information through EDIRC
Regional Policy; Regional Development; Rural Development; European Union;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- R58 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Regional Development Planning and Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2011-12-13 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2011-12-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2011-12-13 (Economic Geography)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Riccardo Crescenzi, 2007. "Undermining the Principle of Concentration? Eu development policies and the Socio-Economic Disadvantage Of European Regions," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0073, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Philippe Martin, 1998. "Can Regional Policies Affect Growth and Geography in Europe?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(6), pages 757-774, 08.
- S. Ederveen & H.L.F. de Groot & R. Nahuis, 2003.
"Fertile soil for structural funds? a panel data analysis of the conditional effectiveness of European cohesion policy,"
03-14, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Sjef Ederveen & Henri L .F. Groot & Richard Nahuis, 2006. "Fertile Soil for Structural Funds?A Panel Data Analysis of the Conditional Effectiveness of European Cohesion Policy," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(1), pages 17-42, 02.
- Sjef Ederveen & Henri de Groot & Richard Nahuis, 2002. "Fertile soil for structural funds? A panel data analysis of the conditional effectiveness of European cohesion policy," CPB Discussion Paper 10, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Magrini, Stefano, 1999. "The evolution of income disparities among the regions of the European Union," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 257-281, March.
- Roberto Esposti, 2007. "Regional Growth and Policies in the European Union: Does the Common Agricultural Policy Have a Counter-Treatment Effect?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(1), pages 116-134.
- Riccardo Crescenzi, 2005. "Innovation and Regional Growth in the Enlarged Europe: The Role of Local Innovative Capabilities, Peripherality, and Education," Growth and Change, Gatton College of Business and Economics, University of Kentucky, vol. 36(4), pages 471-507.
- Jan Fagerberg & Bart Verspagen & Marjolein Cani�ls, 1997. "Technology, Growth and Unemployment across European Regions," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(5), pages 457-466.
- Riccardo Crescenzi & Andrés Rodriguez-Pose & Michael Storper, 2007. "The territorial dynamics of innovation: a Europe-United States comparative analysis," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(6), pages 673-709, November.
- Ron Boschma, 2004. "Competitiveness of Regions from an Evolutionary Perspective," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(9), pages 1001-1014.
- Maureen Kilkenny, 2010. "Urban/Regional Economics And Rural Development," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(1), pages 449-470.
- Michael Kitson & Ron Martin & Peter Tyler, 2004. "Regional Competitiveness: An Elusive yet Key Concept?," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(9), pages 991-999.
- Fabrizio De Filippis & Daniela Storti, 2002. "Le politiche di sviluppo rurale nell´unione europea: un secondo pilastro tutto da inventare," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0025, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Angel de la Fuente & Rafael Doménech, 2001. "The Redistributive Effects of the EU Budget: An Analysis and Proposal for Reform," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(2), pages 307-330, 06.
- Esposti, Roberto, 2008. "Reforming The Cap: An Agenda For Regional Growth?," 109th Seminar, November 20-21, 2008, Viterbo, Italy 44868, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose, 1998. "Social Conditions and Economic Performance: The Bond Between Social Structure and Regional Growth in Western Europe," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(3), pages 443-459, 09.
- repec:ner:maastr:urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-18067 is not listed on IDEAS
- Paul Cheshire, 2000. "Endogenous Processes in European Regional Growth: Convergence and Policy," Growth and Change, Gatton College of Business and Economics, University of Kentucky, vol. 31(4), pages 455-479.
- Rodriguez-Pose, Andres, 2002. "The European Union: Economy, Society, and Polity," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198742869.
- repec:ner:lselon:http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/23328/ is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ner:lselon:http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/23323/ is not listed on IDEAS
- Chandra, Amitabh & Thompson, Eric, 2000. "Does public infrastructure affect economic activity?: Evidence from the rural interstate highway system," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 457-490, July.
- Crescenzi, Riccardo & Rodriguez-Pose, Andres, 2008. "Infrastructure endowment and investment as determinants of regional growth in the European Union," EIB Papers 8/2008, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Telephone for information).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.