The Armington Model
AbstractA Productivity Commission Staff Working Paper, The Armington Model, by Peter Lloyd and Xiao-guang Zhang was released on 8 February 2006, in conjunction with an additional staff working paper, Armington Elasticities and Terms of Trade Effects in Global CGE Models. The paper explores how models adopting the Armington formulation differ from traditional models, in their quantitative properties and underlying theory of trade. In publishing its research in this area, the Commission hopes to clarify issues that arise as single-country and global trade models are increasingly used to assess the potential impacts of various types of trade liberalisation. The views expressed in this paper are those of the staff involved and do not necessarily reflect those of the Productivity Commission.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Productivity Commission, Government of Australia in its series Staff Working Papers with number 0602.
Length: 42 pages.
Date of creation: Jan 2006
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published by the Productivity Commission, Australia.
armington model; trade liberalisation; terms of trade;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F - International Economics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dixit, Avinash K & Grossman, Gene M, 1982.
"Trade and Protection with Multistage Production,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(4), pages 583-94, October.
- Shoven, John B & Whalley, John, 1984. "Applied General-Equilibrium Models of Taxation and International Trade: An Introduction and Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 22(3), pages 1007-51, September.
- Winters, L. Alan, 1984. "Separability and the specification of foreign trade functions," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3-4), pages 239-263, November.
- Brown, Drusilla K., 1987. "Tariffs, the terms of trade, and national product differentiation," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 503-526.
- Mika Saito, 2004.
"Armington Elasticities in Intermediate Inputs Trade: A Problem in Using Multilateral Trade Data,"
IMF Working Papers
04/22, International Monetary Fund.
- Mika Saito, 2004. "Armington elasticities in intermediate inputs trade: a problem in using multilateral trade data," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 37(4), pages 1097-1117, November.
- Xiao-guang Zhang, 2006. "Armington Elasticities and Terms of Trade Effects in Global CGE Models," Staff Working Papers 0601, Productivity Commission, Government of Australia.
- Krugman, Paul R., 1979. "Increasing returns, monopolistic competition, and international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 469-479, November.
- John Whalley, 1984. "Trade Liberalization among Major World Trading Areas," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262231204, January.
- Clinton R. Shiells & Kenneth A. Reinert, 1993. "Armington Models and Terms-of-Trade Effects: Some Econometric Evidence for North America," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 26(2), pages 299-316, May.
- Deardorff, Alan V. & Stern, Robert M., 1981. "A disaggregated model of world production and trade: An estimate of the impact of the Tokyo Round," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 127-152, May.
- Botta, Alberto, 2010. "The Palestinian economy and its trade pattern: Stylised facts and alternative modelling strategies," MPRA Paper 29719, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stratan, Alexandru & Chistruga, Marcel, 2012. "The Macromodel of the Moldovan Economy Medium-Term Forecast for Moldova," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(2), pages 68-84, June.
- Siriwardana, Mahinda, 2007. "The Australia-United States Free Trade Agreement: An economic evaluation," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 117-133, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (MAPS).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.