Welfare Costs of Crime and Common Violence: A Critical Review
AbstractThis paper critically reviews a vast array of literature on the costs of crime and common violence. Using a simple economic model of crime as a theoretical benchmark, we conceptually discuss the estimates available and their potential use as inputs for public policy. We present current methodologies, explore their main results, discuss their limitations, and suggest directions for further research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil) in its series Textos para discussão with number 581.
Date of creation: Oct 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Rua Marquês de São Vicente, 225, 22453-900 Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Phone: 021 35271078
Fax: 021 35271084
Web page: http://www.econ.puc-rio.br
More information through EDIRC
crime; violence; welfare; costs; contingent valuation; willingness to pay JEL codes: K42; O17; O57;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- K42 - Law and Economics - - Legal Procedure, the Legal System, and Illegal Behavior - - - Illegal Behavior and the Enforcement of Law
- O17 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Formal and Informal Sectors; Shadow Economy; Institutional Arrangements
- O57 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Comparative Studies of Countries
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Soares, Rodrigo R., 2006. "The welfare cost of violence across countries," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 821-846, September.
- Peter Lorentzen & John McMillan & Romain Wacziarg, 2006.
"Death and Development,"
2006 Meeting Papers, Society for Economic Dynamics
61, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Peter Lorentzen & John McMillan & Romain Wacziarg, 2005. "Death and Development," NBER Working Papers 11620, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lorentzen, Peter L. & McMillan, John & Wacziarg, Romain, 2005. "Death and Development," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 5246, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gary S. Becker, 1968.
"Crime and Punishment: An Economic Approach,"
Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 76, pages 169.
- Carlos Medina & Christian Posso & Jorge AndrÃ©s Tamayo, .
"Costos de la violencia urbana y polÃticas pÃºblicas: algunas lecciones de MedellÃn,"
Borradores de Economia
674, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Carlos Medina & Christian Posso & Jorge AndrÃ©s Tamayo, 2011. "Costos de la violencia urbana y polÃticas pÃºblicas: algunas lecciones de MedellÃn," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 009076, BANCO DE LA REPÃšBLICA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.