Modeling the effects of Geographical Expansion Strategies on the Italian Minor Banks’ Efficiency
AbstractIn the last decades, banking re-organization process has progressively increased centralized hierarchical organizational structures. In several cases, the restructuring activity has involved a geographic expansion of the financial organizations to other municipalities within the home province or into other provinces, any of which may be considerable distances away. Minor banks could have incentive to grow through geographically expansion in the attempt to increase their market power and margins. The aim of the paper is to assess the effect of the geographic expansion on minor banks’ efficiency by using appropriate distance measures. Moreover, to evaluate the relevance of the different organizational banking models on bank efficiency, we also control for product diversification and size. Based on an unbalanced panel of Italian banks over the period 2006-2009, we estimate stochastic cost frontier functions for either the minor banks or the whole banking system. Results suggest that geographical dimension measured by the distance between local branches and the headquarter significantly affects cost efficiency, either for the full sample or minor banks with a more incisive impact for the latter ones.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis in its series Working Paper Series with number 72_12.
Date of creation: Nov 2012
Date of revision:
geographical distance; product diversification; stochastic frontiers; panel data; local banks;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert Hauswald & Robert Marquez, 2006. "Competition and Strategic Information Acquisition in Credit Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 19(3), pages 967-1000.
- Felici Roberto & Pagnini Marcello, 2005. "Distance, bank heterogeneity and entry in local banking markets," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 557, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Allen Berger & Robert DeYoung, 2001.
"The Effects of Geographic Expansion on Bank Efficiency,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 163-184, April.
- Allen N. Berger & Robert De Young, 2001. "The effects of geographic expansion on bank efficiency," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2001-03, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & Robert DeYoung, 2000. "The effects of geographic expansion on bank efficiency," Working Paper Series WP-00-14, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Berger, Allen N. & Black, Lamont K., 2011. "Bank size, lending technologies, and small business finance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 724-735, March.
- Altunbas, Yener & Evans, Lynne & Molyneux, Philip, 2001. "Bank Ownership and Efficiency," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(4), pages 926-54, November.
- Jeremy C. Stein, 2002. "Information Production and Capital Allocation: Decentralized versus Hierarchical Firms," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(5), pages 1891-1921, October.
- Stiroh, Kevin J. & Rumble, Adrienne, 2006. "The dark side of diversification: The case of US financial holding companies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 2131-2161, August.
- Carling, Kenneth & Lundberg, Sofia, 2005. "Asymmetric information and distance: an empirical assessment of geographical credit rationing," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 39-59.
- Pietro Alessandrini & Andrea F. Presbitero & Alberto Zazzaro, 2009. "Banks, Distances and Firms' Financing Constraints," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 13(2), pages 261-307.
- Hans Degryse & Steven Ongena, 2004.
"The Impact of Technology and Regulation on the Geographical Scope of Banking,"
Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers
ces0408, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Hans Degryse, 2004. "The Impact of Technology and Regulation on the Geographical Scope of Banking," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(4), pages 571-590, Winter.
- Feng, Guohua & Zhang, Xiaohui, 2012. "Productivity and efficiency at large and community banks in the US: A Bayesian true random effects stochastic distance frontier analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 1883-1895.
- Mercieca, Steve & Schaeck, Klaus & Wolfe, Simon, 2007. "Small European banks: Benefits from diversification?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1975-1998, July.
- Allen N. Berger & Anil K. Kashyap & Joseph Scalise, 1995.
"The Transformation of the U.S. Banking Industry: What a Long, Strange Trip It's Been,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
96-06, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Allen N. Berger & Anil K. Kashyap & Joseph M. Scalise, 1995. "The Transformation of the U.S. Banking Industry: What a Long, Strange Trips It's Been," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 26(2), pages 55-218.
- Akhigbe, Aigbe & McNulty, James E., 2003. "The profit efficiency of small US commercial banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 307-325, February.
- Claudia Girardone & Philip Molyneux & Edward Gardener, 2004. "Analysing the determinants of bank efficiency: the case of Italian banks," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(3), pages 215-227.
- Jiménez, Gabriel & Salas, Vicente & Saurina, Jesús, 2009. "Organizational distance and use of collateral for business loans," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 234-243, February.
- Robert DeYoung & Lawrence G. Goldberg & Lawrence J. White, 1997.
"Youth, Adolescence, and Maturity of Banks: Credit Availability to Small Business in an Era of Banking Consolidation,"
New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires
98-025, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- DeYoung, Robert & Goldberg, Lawrence G. & White, Lawrence J., 1999. "Youth, adolescence, and maturity of banks: Credit availability to small business in an era of banking consolidation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(2-4), pages 463-492, February.
- Lozano-Vivas, Ana & Pasiouras, Fotios, 2010. "The impact of non-traditional activities on the estimation of bank efficiency: International evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1436-1449, July.
- Francesca Battaglia & Vincenzo Farina & Franco Fiordelisi & Ornella Ricci, 2010. "The efficiency of cooperative banks: the impact of environmental economic conditions," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(17), pages 1363-1376.
- Battese, George E. & Corra, Greg S., 1977. "Estimation Of A Production Frontier Model: With Application To The Pastoral Zone Of Eastern Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 21(03), December.
- Vincenzo Chiorazzo & Carlo Milani & Francesca Salvini, 2008. "Income Diversification and Bank Performance: Evidence from Italian Banks," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 33(3), pages 181-203, June.
- Carbo, S & Gardener, E P M & Williams, J, 2002. "Efficiency in Banking: Empirical Evidence from the Savings Banks Sector," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 70(2), pages 204-28, March.
- Yener Altunbas & Santiago Carbo & Edward P.M. Gardener & Philip Molyneux, 2007. "Examining the Relationships between Capital, Risk and Efficiency in European Banking," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 13(1), pages 49-70.
- George E. Battese & Greg S. Corra, 1977. "Estimation Of A Production Frontier Model: With Application To The Pastoral Zone Of Eastern Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 21(3), pages 169-179, December.
- Shannon Mudd, 2013. "Bank Structure, Relationship Lending and Small Firm Access to Finance: A Cross-Country Investigation," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 44(2), pages 149-174, October.
- Mester, Loretta J., 1996. "A study of bank efficiency taking into account risk-preferences," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 1025-1045, July.
- Paola Brighi & Valeria Venturelli, 2013. "The Effect Of Revenue And Geographic Diversification On Bank Performance," Centro Studi di Banca e Finanza (CEFIN) (Center for Studies in Banking and Finance) 13103, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Facoltà di Economia "Marco Biagi".
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roberto Patuelli).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.