Public and Private Dynamics and Co-opetition: Evidence from the Tourism Sector
AbstractOften coopetition arises whenever competing companies start to collaborate. The formation of this simultaneous presence of cooperation and competition is often triggered by a certain institutional context where the public sector pushes companies to cooperate with each other. This situation is particularly important in the tourism sector where relevant public stakeholders (such as Destination Management Organizations) support a collaborative attitude and practice among tourism businesses. In this paper we focus on the role of the public sphere in creating the conditions for the private sector to shift from a constant sum to a variable sum game, often through a kind of public-private partnerships. Our comparative study shows that cooperation and coopetition can be strengthened by the public sphere and that public–private relationships are crucial in order to strengthen the brand image of a tourism destination or an entire region and to attract more tourists.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis in its series Working Paper Series with number 14_13.
Date of creation: Jan 2013
Date of revision:
Inter-organizational relationships; public–private partnerships; tourism destinations; coopetition; qualitative study;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-02-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-CDM-2013-02-16 (Collective Decision-Making)
- NEP-TUR-2013-02-16 (Tourism Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- García-Canal, Esteban & Duarte, Cristina López & Criado, Josep Rialp & Llaneza, Ana Valdés, 2002. "Accelerating international expansion through global alliances: a typology of cooperative strategies," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 91-107, July.
- Adam M. Brandenburger & Harborne W. Stuart, 1996. "Value-based Business Strategy," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(1), pages 5-24, 03.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roberto Patuelli).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.