A Comparison of Timber Models for Use in Public Policy Analysis
AbstractIn this paper, we compare and contrast two types of timber models that have been used for public policy analysis. These models have been variously used to predict price, inventory and market welfare impacts under different exogenous forces that impact timber markets. The framework and theory for each model type is presented and discussed. We then thoroughly test the two model types across six potential exogenous shocks to timber markets, ranging from instantaneous demand shocks to gradual supply adjustments. Our comparison indicates that these models predict potentially important differences in timber market behavior. These differences are important to consider for those who do public policy analysis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Resources For the Future in its series Discussion Papers with number dp-96-12.
Date of creation: 01 Mar 1996
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-01-24 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Solow, Robert M, 1974. "The Economics of Resources or the Resources of Economics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(2), pages 1-14, May.
- Lyon, Kenneth S., 1981. "Mining of the forest and the time path of the price of timber," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 330-344, December.
- Berck, Peter, 1981. "Optimal management of renewable resources with growing demand and stock externalities," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 105-117, June.
- Sedjo, Roger & Lyon, Kenneth, 1996. "Timber Supply Model 96: A Global Timber Supply Model with a Pulpwood Component," Discussion Papers dp-96-15, Resources For the Future.
- Sorda, Giovanni & Madlener, Reinhard, 2012. "Cost-Effectiveness of Lignocellulose Biorefineries and their Impact on the Deciduous Wood Markets in Germany," FCN Working Papers 8/2012, E.ON Energy Research Center, Future Energy Consumer Needs and Behavior (FCN).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.