Trends in family, hired and contract labour use on French and Swiss crop farms: The role of agricultural policies
AbstractThe objective of this article is to analyse the trends in on-farm labour use, including own family labour, hired labour and contract work, and to assess the factors driving their evolution in France and in Switzerland during 1990-2007. A particular attention is given to agricultural policies, namely the level and type of support. Results indicate that crop area payments discourage the different labour demands in both countries. No other subsidies have a significant influence on labour use in Switzerland. By contrast, in France environment and investment payments favour labour use, in particular external labour (contract and hired labour).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by INRA UMR SMART in its series Working Papers SMART - LERECO with number 201016.
Length: 15 pages
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 4, Allée Adolphe Bobierre, CS 61103, 35011 Rennes Cedex
Web page: http://www.rennes.inra.fr/smart_eng/publications/working_papers
More information through EDIRC
farm labour; family labour; hired labour; contract labour; agricultural policies;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
- J43 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets - - - Agricultural Labor Markets
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kaditi, Eleni, 2013. "The Impact of CAP Reforms on Farm Labour Structure," Factor Markets Working Papers 177, Centre for European Policy Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne Chauvel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.