Coasean Bargaining in the Presence of Pigouvian Taxation: Revisiting the Buchanan-Stubblebine-Turvey Theorem
AbstractCoasean arguments against the Pigouvian perspective are well established. A central tenet in this criticism argues that a Pigouvian tax may be a source of inefficiency: if parties were to bargain in the presence of a Pigouvian tax, (allocative) inefficiencies would occur-the so-called Buchanan-Stubblebine-Turvey Theorem. By analyzing a Coasean environment where the appropriation of property rights is costly, we show-in contrast to the Buchanan-Stubblebine-Turvey Theorem-that Coasean bargaining in the presence of a pre-existing (Pigouvian) tax is Pareto improving. This has implications for policy where dual regulatory environments exist, such as regulation at the state and federal level, as well as environmental liability and litigation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia in its series Discussion Papers Series with number 515.
Date of creation: 01 May 2014
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-05-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2014-05-24 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-LAW-2014-05-24 (Law & Economics)
- NEP-MIC-2014-05-24 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rosenkranz, Stephanie & Schmitz, Patrick W., 2004.
"Can Coasean Bargaining Justify Pigouvian Taxation?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4263, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stephanie Rosenkranz & Patrick W. Schmitz, 2007. "Can Coasean Bargaining Justify Pigouvian Taxation?," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 74(296), pages 573-585, November.
- Stephanie Rosenkranz & Patrick W. Schmitz, 2004. "Can Coasean Bargaining Justify Pigouvian Taxation?," Working Papers 04-21, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Stephanie Rosenkranz & Patrick W. Schmitz, 2006. "Can Coasean bargaining justify Pigouvian taxation?," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse7_2006, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Alex Robson, 2012.
"Transaction costs can encourage Coasean bargaining,"
Discussion Papers in Economics
economics:201208, Griffith University, Department of Accounting, Finance and Economics.
- Robson, Alex, 2012. "Transaction Costs can Encourage Coasean Bargaining," MPRA Paper 40892, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Farmer, Amy & Pecorino, Paul, 1999. " Legal Expenditure as a Rent-Seeking Game," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 100(3-4), pages 271-88, September.
- Steven G. Medema, 2014. "The Curious Treatment of the Coase Theorem in the Environmental Economics Literature, 1960--1979," Review of Environmental Economics and Policy, Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 8(1), pages 39-57, January.
- Ian A. MacKenzie & Markus Ohndorf, 2012.
"Restricted Coasean Bargaining,"
CER-ETH Economics working paper series
12/156, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Glazer, Amihai & Konrad, Kai A., 1999.
"Taxation of rent-seeking activities,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 61-72, April.
- Frank A. Sloan & Justin G. Trogdon, 2004. "The impact of the master settlement agreement on cigarette consumption," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(4), pages 843-855.
- Antonio Bernardo & Eric L. Talley & Ivo Welch, 1999.
"A Theory of Legal Presumptions,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm118, Yale School of Management.
- Arye L. Hillman & John G. Riley, 1989.
"Politically Contestable Rents And Transfers,"
Economics and Politics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(1), pages 17-39, 03.
- Aivazian, Varouj A & Callen, Jeffrey L, 1981. "The Coase Theorem and the Empty Core," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(1), pages 175-81, April.
- Baumol, William J, 1972. "On Taxation and the Control of Externalities," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(3), pages 307-22, June.
- Alexander R. W. Robson & Stergios Skaperdas, 2002.
"Costly Enforcement of Property Rights and the Coase Theorem,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
762, CESifo Group Munich.
- Alex Robson & Stergios Skaperdas, 2008. "Costly enforcement of property rights and the Coase theorem," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 109-128, July.
- Alex Robson & Stergios Skaperdas, 2005. "Costly Enforcement of Property Rights and the Coase Theorem," ANU Working Papers in Economics and Econometrics 2005-455, Australian National University, College of Business and Economics, School of Economics.
- Parisi, Francesco, 2003. " Political Coase Theorem," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 115(1-2), pages 1-36, April.
- Ian A. MacKenzie & Markus Ohndorf, 2013. "Caps on Coasean Transfers," Discussion Papers Series 485, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Baumol,William J. & Oates,Wallace E., 1988. "The Theory of Environmental Policy," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521322249, October.
- Stergios Skaperdas & Samarth Vaidya, 2007.
"Persuasion as a Contest,"
070809, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
- Stergios Skaperdas & Samarth Vaidya, 2007. "Persuasion as a Contest," CESifo Working Paper Series 2160, CESifo Group Munich.
- Stergios Skaperdas & Samarth Vaidya, 2008. "Persuasion as a Contest," Economics Series 2008_07, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Cropper, Maureen L & Oates, Wallace E, 1992. "Environmental Economics: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(2), pages 675-740, June.
- H. Spencer Banzhaf & Timothy Fitzgerald & Kurt Schnier, 2013. "Nonregulatory Approaches to the Environment: Coasean and Pigouvian Perspectives," Review of Environmental Economics and Policy, Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 7(2), pages 238-258, July.
- Terry L. Anderson & Dominic P. Parker, 2013. "Transaction Costs and Environmental Markets: The Role of Entrepreneurs," Review of Environmental Economics and Policy, Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 7(2), pages 259-275, July.
- Cristina Ciocirlan & Bruce Yandle, 2003. "The Political Economy of Green Taxation in OECD Countries," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 203-218, May.
- Baumol,William J. & Oates,Wallace E., 1988. "The Theory of Environmental Policy," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521311120, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Randal Anderson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.