Un modelo RSDAIDS para las importaciones de madera de Estados Unidos y sus implicaciones para Colombia
AbstractThis paper presents the main results of a model of import demand of wood products in the U.S. and its implications for Colombia. The time length considered here was 1980-1999. The theoretical model used was developed by Deaton and Muellbauer in 1980 and it is called: An Almost Ideal Demand System. This model allows the estimation of price and income elasticities for different types of wood products. The methodology used consists of the Seemingly Unrelated Regression model (SUR), popular in the econometrics literature. This paper shows, on one hand, that despite of the tremendous forest potential that Colombia has, its participation in international markets is negligible. On the other hand, if Colombia decided to develop the forest sector, it would have to face some strong competitors such as Canada and some Asian countries. The cross-price elasticities show that in the case of round wood the majority of countries behaves like complementary goods. The sign of the elasticities are the expected which allows to conclude that the model well fits the data
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 859.
Date of creation: Nov 2002
Date of revision:
demanda de importaciones; productos maderables; coníferas; modelo RSAIDS; modelo SUR; elasticidades; import demand; wood products; coniferous; RSAIDS model ; SUR model; elasticities;
Other versions of this item:
- Mauricio Alviar Ramirez & Medardo Restrepo Patiño & Santiago Gallón Gómez, 2002. "Un modelo RSDAIDS para las importaciones de madera de Estados Unidos y sus implicaciones para Colombia," BORRADORES DEL CIE 003687, UNIVERSIDAD DE ANTIOQUIA - CIE.
- D11 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Theory
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
- C30 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - General
- Q23 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Forestry
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Henneberry, Shida Rastegari & Piewthongngam, Kullapapruk & Qiang, Han, 1999. "Consumer Food Safety Concerns And Fresh Produce Consumption," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(01), July.
- M.Rojas, Angela, 2011. "Political Competition in Dual Economies: Clientelism in Latin America," BORRADORES DEPARTAMENTO DE ECONOMÃA 008103, UNIVERSIDAD DE ANTIOQUIA - CIE.
- Juan Esteban Carranza & Alejandra González & Natalia Serna, 2014. "La relación entre la producción y el comercio exterior de la industria manufacturera colombiana (2000-2010)," Borradores de Economia 806, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Juan Esteban Carranza & Alejandra González & Natalia Serna, 2014. "La relación entre la producción y el comercio exterior de la industria manufacturera colombiana (2000-2010)," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 011129, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Garcia Callejas, Danny, 2010. "Corruption, Economic Freedom and Political Freedom in South America: In Pursuit of the missing Link," BORRADORES DEPARTAMENTO DE ECONOMÃA 007336, UNIVERSIDAD DE ANTIOQUIA - CIE.
- García Callejas, Danny, 2011. "Per Capita GDP Convergence in South America, 1960-2007," BORRADORES DEPARTAMENTO DE ECONOMÃA 008983, UNIVERSIDAD DE ANTIOQUIA - CIE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.