Consumer Food Safety Concerns And Fresh Produce Consumption
AbstractThe linear approximation of an almost ideal demand system model was used to measure the impacts of prices, expenditures, and consumer food safety concerns on the consumption of 14 major fresh produce categories in the United States for the period 1970-92. The changes in fresh produce consumption due to food safety concerns was calculated. The results indicate that risk information has not had a significant impact on the consumption of most of the fresh produce items studied.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 24 (1999)
Issue (Month): 01 (July)
Food Consumption/Nutrition/Food Safety;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deirdre N. McCloskey & Stephen T. Ziliak, 1996. "The Standard Error of Regressions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(1), pages 97-114, March.
- McGuirk, Anya M. & Driscoll, Paul J. & Alwang, Jeffrey Roger & Huang, Huilin, 1995. "System Misspecification Testing And Structural Change In The Demand For Meats," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 20(01), July.
- Pudney, Stephen E, 1981. "An Empirical Method of Approximating the Separable Structure of Consumer Preferences," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(4), pages 561-77, October.
- Sellen, Daniel & Goddard, Ellen, 1997. "Weak Separability in Coffee Demand Systems," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 24(1), pages 133-44.
- Heien, Dale & Pompelli, Greg, 1988. "The Demand For Beef Products: Cross-Section Estimation Of Demographic And Economic Effects," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 13(01), July.
- LaFrance, Jeffrey T., 1991. "When Is Expenditure "Exogenous" In Separable Demand Models?," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 16(01), July.
- Runge, C. Ford & Munson, Robert D. & Lotterman, Edward D. & Creason, Jared R., 1990. "Agricultural Competitiveness, Farm Fertilizer and Chemical Use, and Environmental Quality: A Descriptive Analysis," Reports 94448, University of Minnesota, Center for International Food and Agricultural Policy.
- Gould, Brian W. & Cox, Thomas L. & Perali, Carlo Federico, 1990. "The Demand For Fluid Milk Products In The U.S.: A Demand Systems Approach," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 15(01), July.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Moro, D. & Green, Richard D., 1994. "Maintaining and Testing Separability in Demand Systems," Staff General Research Papers 11247, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Edgerton, David L., 1993. "On The Estimation Of Separable Demand Models," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(02), December.
- Taylor, Harold H., 1994. "Fertilizer Use and Price Statistics, 1960-93," Statistical Bulletin 154834, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Hayes, Dermot J. & Wahl, Thomas I. & Williams, Gary W., 1990. "Testing Restrictions on a Model of Japanese Meat Demand," Staff General Research Papers 10940, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Susanto, Dwi & Rosson, C. Parr, III & Henneberry, Shida Rastegari, 2008. "The Structure of U.S. Red Meat and Livestock Imports," 2008 Annual Meeting, February 2-6, 2008, Dallas, Texas 6824, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Alviar Ramírez, Mauricio & Restrepo Patiño, Medardo & Gallón Gómez, Santiago, 2002.
"Un modelo RSDAIDS para las importaciones de madera de Estados Unidos y sus implicaciones para Colombia,"
859, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mauricio Alviar Ramirez & Medardo Restrepo Patiño & Santiago Gallón Gómez, 2002. "Un modelo RSDAIDS para las importaciones de madera de Estados Unidos y sus implicaciones para Colombia," BORRADORES DEL CIE 003687, UNIVERSIDAD DE ANTIOQUIA - CIE.
- Huang, Ju-Chin & Haab, Timothy C. & Whitehead, John C., 2004. "Risk Valuation in the Presence of Risky Substitutes: An Application to Demand for Seafood," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(01), April.
- Wilson, Christine A. & Featherstone, Allen M., 2002. "The Effects Of Food Safety Issues On Diversifiable And Nondiversifiable Agribusiness Risk," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19678, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Acharya, Ram N. & Molina, Ignacio, 2004. "Testing For A Change In Consumer Tastes For Fresh Fruits And Vegetables: A Structural Latent Variable Approach," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20127, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Li, Chenguang & Sexton, Richard J., 2013. "Grocery-Retailer Pricing Behavior with Implications for Farmer Welfare," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(2), August.
- Maynard, Leigh J. & Saghaian, Sayed H. & Nickoloff, Megan, 2008.
"Buyer and Seller Responses to an Adverse Food Safety Event: The Case of Frozen Salmon in Alberta,"
International Food and Agribusiness Management Review,
International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 11(1).
- Maynard, Leigh J. & Saghaian, Sayed H. & Nickoloff, Megan, 2007. "Buyer and Seller Response to an Adverse Food Safety Event: The Case of Frozen Salmon in Alberta," Consumer and Market Demand Network Papers 6832, University of Alberta, Department of Resource Economics and Environmental Sociology.
- Li, Chenguang & Sexton, Richard J., 2009. "Impacts of Retailers’ Pricing Strategies for Produce Commodities on Farmer Welfare," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51720, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.