Stock prices, exchange rates and causality in Malaysia: a note
AbstractThis article contributes to the debate on stock prices and exchange rates in Malaysia. It examines causal relations using a new Granger non-causality test proposed by Toda and Yamamoto (Journal of Econometrics, 66, 225-50, 1995). Among the findings of interest, there is a feedback interaction between exchange rates and stock prices for the pre-crisis period. The results also reveal that exchange rates lead stock prices for the crisis period. In a financially liberalized environment, exchange rates stability is important for stock market well-being.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 656.
Date of creation: Oct 2006
Date of revision:
Exchange rates; Stock prices; Causality; Malaysia;
Other versions of this item:
- W N W Azman-Saini & M S Habibullah & Siong Hook Law & A M Dayang-Affizzah, 2007. "Stock Prices, Exchange Rates and Causality in Malaysia: A Note," The IUP Journal of Financial Economics, IUP Publications, IUP Publications, vol. 0(1), pages 7-13, March.
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-11-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2006-11-12 (Central Banking)
- NEP-IFN-2006-11-12 (International Finance)
- NEP-SEA-2006-11-12 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Granger, Clive W.J. & Huang, Bwo-Nung & Yang, Chin W., 1998.
"A Bivariate Causality between Stock Prices and Exchange Rates: Evidence from Recent Asia Flu,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series, Department of Economics, UC San Diego
qt9bk607p6, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Granger, Clive W. J. & Huangb, Bwo-Nung & Yang, Chin-Wei, 2000. "A bivariate causality between stock prices and exchange rates: evidence from recent Asianflu," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 337-354.
- Jun Nagayasu, 2000. "Currency Crisis and Contagion," IMF Working Papers 00/39, International Monetary Fund.
- DeJong, David N, et al, 1992. "Integration versus Trend Stationarity in Time Series," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 60(2), pages 423-33, March.
- Ramon Moreno & Gloria Pasadilla & Eli Remolona, 1998.
"Asia's financial crisis: lessons and policy responses,"
Pacific Basin Working Paper Series
98-02, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Moreno, R. & Pasadilla, G. & Remolona, E., 1998. "Asia's Financial Crisis: Lessons and Policy Responses," Papers, Economisch Institut voor het Midden en Kleinbedrijf- 98-02, Economisch Institut voor het Midden en Kleinbedrijf-.
- Toda, Hiro Y. & Yamamoto, Taku, 1995. "Statistical inference in vector autoregressions with possibly integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 225-250.
- Issam Abdalla & Victor Murinde, 1997. "Exchange rate and stock price interactions in emerging financial markets: evidence on India, Korea, Pakistan and the Philippines," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(1), pages 25-35.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger & Fischer, Stanley, 1980. "Exchange Rates and the Current Account," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 960-71, December.
- John Wei, K. C. & Liu, Yu-Jane & Yang, Chau-Chen & Chaung, Guey-Shiang, 1995. "Volatility and price change spillover effects across the developed and emerging markets," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 113-136, May.
- Asmy, Mohamed & Rohilina, Wisam & Hassama, Aris & Fouad, Md., 2009. "Effects of Macroeconomic Variables on Stock Prices in Malaysia: An Approach of Error Correction Model," MPRA Paper 20970, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Baharom, A.H. & Royfaizal, R. C & Habibullah, M.S., 2008. "Causation analysis between stock price and exchange rate: Pre and post crisis study on Malaysia," MPRA Paper 11925, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Abdullah, Ahmad Monir & Saiti, Buerhan & Masih, Abul Mansur M., 2014. "Causality between Stock Market Index and Macroeconomic Variables: A Case Study for Malaysia," MPRA Paper 56987, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Baharom, A.H. & Habibullah, M.S. & R.C., Royfaizal, 2008. "Pre and post crisis analysis of stock price and exchange rate: Evidence from Malaysia," MPRA Paper 12445, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.