Balance of Payments Constrained Growth Model: Evidence for Bolivia 1953-2002
AbstractTheoretical and empirical literature have focused on supply factors when studying economic growth determinants. The present work analyzes demand factors as determinants of the Bolivian economic growth between 1953-2002 using framework introduced by Thirlwall (1979). According to cointegration analysis exports were an important determinant in the Bolivian economic growth for the whole period. In addition, real exchange rate presents a negative relationship respect to the long run growth. Further results show that Bolivian imports are more elastics than exports respect to the GDP, determining a negative impact in trade balance. An hypothesis is that the implemented economic model after 1985 has increased the external constraint of the country causing a process of “deindustrialization”.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 5685.
Date of creation: 14 Oct 2007
Date of revision:
Bolivia; Growth; Thirlwall’s Law; Cointegration;
Other versions of this item:
- Arevilca Vasquez, Bismarck Javier & Risso Charquero, Adrian Winston, 2007. "Balance of payments constrained growth model: evidence for Bolivia 1953-2002," MPRA Paper 5645, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
- C2 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2232, David K. Levine.
- Fugarolas Álvarez-Ude, Guadalupe & Matesanz Gómez, David, 2005. "Restricción de balanza de pagos y vulnerabilidad externa en la argentina de los noventa. Un análisis de caso," MPRA Paper 210, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2005.
- Edward E. Leamer, 1982.
"Let's Take the Con Out of Econometrics,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
239, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Rainer Schweickert, 2001. "Macroeconomic Constraints on Economic Development and Poverty Reduction: The Case of Bolivia," Kiel Working Papers 1060, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Granger, C. W. J. & Newbold, P., 1974. "Spurious regressions in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 111-120, July.
- Morales, Juan Antonio & Espejo, Justo & Chávez, Gonzalo & la Torre, Gilka & Evia, José Luis, 1992. "Shocks Externos Transitorios y Políticas de Estabilización para Bolivia," Documentos de trabajo 2/1992, Instituto de Investigaciones Socio-Económicas (IISEC), Universidad Católica Boliviana.
- Nelson, Charles R. & Plosser, Charles I., 1982. "Trends and random walks in macroeconmic time series : Some evidence and implications," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 139-162.
- Dawn Richards Elliott & Rupert Rhodd, 1999. "Explaining growth rate differences in highly indebted countries: an extension to Thirlwall and Hussain," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 31(9), pages 1145-1148.
- Juan Carlos Moreno-Brid, 1999. "Mexico's Economic Growth and the Balance of Payments Constraint: A cointegration analysis," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 13(2), pages 149-159.
- Morales, Juan Antonio & Espejo, Justo & Chávez, Gonzalo & la Torre, Gilka & Evia, José Luis, 1992. "Shocks Externos Transitorios y Políticas de Estabilización para Bolivia," Documentos de trabajo 3/1992, Instituto de Investigaciones Socio-Económicas (IISEC), Universidad Católica Boliviana.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.